Hunting

A last minute entry for the poetry competition. Apologies all, it’s one I made earlier but I don’t seem to be in the right frame of mind these days for writing pomes. It may be due to a combination of grandchildren and decorators, and the recent arrival of my elder daughter’s first baby, born a couple of weeks ago, a month earlier than expected. He was born on my birthday so at least it will be easy to remember the date!

Hunting

Mice scamper through the fields of corn
Seeking nests before the dawn
A dangerous place to be

But wait! They stop and test the air
Noses wrinkle, whiskers stir
Their eyes agleam

Nothing moves au claire de lune
But senses must alert them soon
Soft air, drifts past a hint

Close now the cat stays still, and soft
Paws of velvet; tail aloft
Muscles tense before the kill

A screech of shock tears the night
And all the mice are poised for flight
Save one

Claws unsheathed she lashed and missed
Small mousey dear “you’re mine” she hissed
Not yet

1. September 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Arrers, Mother Nature at her most benign! 🙂

2. September 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Yes, and one small mouse lives. It’s a sort of allegory. Janus. 😉

3. Bilby
    September 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Ah yes, Ara, a happy ending (unlike some).
    Nice to see the poem again, and the pic. 🙂

4. September 30, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Allegory? Probably hay fever.

5. September 30, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Atishoo, or pass me a tissue please. 😉

September 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Love the picture, shoot the cat!

7. September 30, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Thanks, Tina. I’m not a great fan of cats either. I think these little harvest mice are very cute.

September 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm

My three dogs are trained to hunt cats, I throw open the sliding door screaming kill kill! Trouble is they are always too far away to do so on five acres! Chased a few up trees in the past but never actually got one. They had two of the neighbour’s chickens that invaded, they lasted all of 30 seconds and make creditable attempts at the invading guinea fowl and neighbour’s goats.

They are, of course, exemplary at killing cats appearing on the television advertisements, all hell lets loose as they launch themselves howling and slavering at the screen!

9. September 30, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Most dogs, or certainly those I have owned are absolutely no match for a cat. My three were hopeless. They would chase certainly but they never stood a chance of ever catching one. If they ever even came close, the local cats used to stand their ground and the dogs would always back down.

October 1, 2014 at 12:06 am

Ara agreed. The only dog I had that ever caught the cat lost the fight and had to go to the vet!!!
    After that the dog used to pointedly ignore said cat and pass by on the other side. Funny.