Home > General > Eine Taube Auf Dem Boden

Eine Taube Auf Dem Boden

The Germans, instead of “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” say:-

“besser ein Spatz in der Hand als eine Taube auf dem Dach”

Well, when I got up this morning we had a bloody Taube on the floor in the hallway.

Our lovely gentle little moggy, which has only one way into the house at night and requires a five feet jump onto the window ledge before she can come into a hole in the mosquito net just big enough to squeeze through, managed to leap up with aย  half dead pigeon in her mouth. Hut ab!!!

DSC_0001[1]

Apologies in advance to the squeamish

DSC_0002[1]

Isn’t she lovely?

DSC_0150

1. September 18, 2015 at 10:44 am

Gaz, I really like pigeons but not post mortem! ๐Ÿ˜ช

2. September 18, 2015 at 11:19 am

Hello, I am a newcomer, but not a new newcomer, as I am gazoopi’s wife. Yes really his vacuum cleaning so early in the morning has cost me my valuable night sleep.
    PS Can you please give me access to your site?

3. September 18, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hello Chariot, yes, I can vouch for frauohneeigenschaften. She is indeed Mrs Gaz.

4. Four-eyed English Genius
    September 18, 2015 at 11:48 am

Gaz, J: I like pigeons too, in a red wine sauce, but not as much as I like catfish ๐Ÿ™‚

BTW, welcome Mrs Gaz, I am sure your name does not really describe you ๐Ÿ™‚

5. September 18, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Hello Four-eyed English Genius, thank you and I must say, you are right, but I have a “split” personality, wanting to be a great athlete as well as a genius myself, and therefore I adore Mann ohne Eigenschaften by Robert Musil.

6. September 18, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Gaz: that’s a moggy for you! I once had a moggy that brought a half-dead bat in in the middle of the night. Wretched creature. If any animal can manage such feats it is a cat.

Frauohneeigenschaften: alas, I am no longer the only Hun in the village!

FEEG: catfish fish fingers are delicious. I make them with my own blend of herbs and spices.

7. September 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Welcome to the mad house, Frau Gaz! Take care of him, he must ne poorly, vaccing during the small hours…. ๐Ÿ˜ด

September 18, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Bit lost on me as I don’t speak a word of German!
    Are those maggots?

9. September 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm

CO: taube — pigeon.

10. September 18, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Christina, sorry, it should be an english blog.
    A bit late but:-
    Eine Taube auf dem Boden – A pidgeon on the floor
    Besser ein Spatz in der Hand als eine Taube auf dem Dach – It’s better to have a sparrow in the hand than a pidgeon on the roof
    Hut ab! – I take my hat off to you (or in this case the cat)

September 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Hello, Frau Gaz. Your cat looks lovely and rather pleased with herself.

12. September 18, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Janus for welcoming you, no worries about Gaz, he is a really early bird, whereas I sometimes appreciate a little sleep in, like today after a long night of question time. Really looking forward to understand a bit more of your blogging. Cheers for now

13. September 18, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hi Christophert and Sheona, yes we hope this time we are having the ‘right’ cat, some of them are really quite nasty and you never know, but ours was more or less rescued by us from the previous owner. Perhaps we are just a bit conceited thinking we are better catowners. This morning she did not know, if we were as proud of her as she was of herself killing a pigeon.

14. September 18, 2015 at 9:44 pm

…and dragging it through the catflap, which is about 1 meter above ground, into the bathroom, what a beast…

15. September 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Trust me to miss all the excitement!

What a mess and a very wicked moggy, Gaz.

A warm welcome to Mrs Gaz. I hope you enjoy the Chariot. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. September 19, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Thank you Ara. Our moggy would have great fun with Monty ๐Ÿ™‚

17. September 19, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Agh! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

18. Bilby
    September 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Poor bird. It looks like a ring-necked Dove, Gaz.

19. September 19, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Bilbers, do y’mean a wrung-necked dove? ๐Ÿ˜ข

20. Bilby
    September 19, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Possibly both, Janus, if Gaz performed the coup de grรขce. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Good to see you again.

21. September 19, 2015 at 7:22 pm

You too, Bilbers. I’m easy to find, so they say. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

22. Bilby
    September 19, 2015 at 7:23 pm

I know. ๐Ÿ™‚

23. September 20, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Hello Araminta, nice to meet you too, I have heard a lot about you already. Good to be in touch.