Home > General > Christmas Carol Quiz for Christina

Christmas Carol Quiz for Christina

1. NBrueghelame three carols where the word “winter” is sung in the verses.
  2. Identify the carol in which the word “snow” appears five times in the same verse.
  3. In which carol do the words “wondering” and “wondrous” appear?
  4. Which two words rhyme with “chime” in Ding Dong Merrily on High?
  5. In which Christmas Carol, does one “strike the harp”?
  6. In the twelve days of Christmas, what was sent by “my true love” on the 9th day of Christmas.
  7. Identify the carol from which this metre is taken from the 1st and 3rd lines of each verse.                       “pom pom  –  pompom  pom  pom  pom  pom”.
  8. In which carol are the cows depicted as “twitching the sweet hay”?
  9. Name the two composers who scored separate musical setting of “In the Bleak mid-winter”.
  10. In which 15th century verse/carol is the birth of the baby Jesus described “as dew in April”. (Leonard Berkeley was commissioned to set this to music in the 1960’s)
  11. Name this macaronic 15th century carol which celebrates the sacrifice of a wild animal. (No Janus, this has nothing to do with macaroni.)

So there you go; encouraged by Boadicea for posting a Quiz and admonished by Christina for failing to acknowledge her musical talents.

1. December 31, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Please allow Christina to have a stab at this before posting any answers.

2. December 31, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Hi PNG

Assuming it’s the usual rules of 1 each (to start with at least). No 2 is ‘In the Bleak Mid Winter’.

3. December 31, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Sorry. Off the mark too quickly, which is very unusual for me. Over to CO.

December 31, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for this PG!

I’ll abide by your comment re CO – but I suspect the only ones I know will have been answered by the time I get up tomorrow morning!

Hey John! It’s three carols with the word winter!

5. December 31, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Yes John you lightning off the blocks. Strangely, quite a few of my friends (choristers) knew the verse but the Carol didn’t immediately come to them. You must have been eating porridge this morning. Maybe see you later on! And yes, if and when answers are forthcoming, they should be restricted to allow CO to have a bash.

6. December 31, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi Boadicea.

True but that’s question 1. I answered Question 2. Smiley thing.

7. December 31, 2014 at 2:13 pm

OK, PNG.

Team M now have all the answers to our own satisfaction, except for 7. We only had to google one of them.

Can Mrs M please have a clue for Number 7? ‘Assuming that the dash is a rest, is it a minim rest or a crotchet rest?

December 31, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Happy new year from Oz – it being 00.21!

May I suggest PG that you set some time limit for CO to read this…

… and wearing my hard-hat ( 🙂 ) as ‘rule-maker’ – might I say the JM is right that the usual rule of initially one answer per person should apply.

Cheers !

9. December 31, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Sir, sir, me sir! I know! 😉

10. December 31, 2014 at 4:30 pm

John, number 7 – the second ‘pom’ is a dotted crotchet and the third ‘pom’ is a quaver beat.
    Janus – you know ALL of them? Or you know number 7?
    Boadicea – to all comers as from 6 p.m. GMT.

December 31, 2014 at 5:15 pm

7 Don’t quite understand the question, but if you want plenty of poms I suggest the Little Drummer Boy?

As JM knows the rest I’ll leave him to it.
    Cheers.

12. December 31, 2014 at 6:18 pm

CO – Not the Little Drummer Boy. (Pom is only used to replace syllables. But I think Janus has it.) And maybe the question is not well put.

13. December 31, 2014 at 7:26 pm

JM? 😛

14. January 1, 2015 at 6:22 am

11 is of course Yankee Doodle Dandy….😜

15. Soutie
    January 1, 2015 at 6:56 am

Hi PapaG, a Happy New Year to you

Got the easy ones (5 & 6) and half of 4 ???? 🙂

Good quiz, you can do more of these, they’re good fun.

… 🙂 …

16. January 1, 2015 at 7:00 am

6:22 – Good try Janus and a jolly good song too! But no.

17. January 1, 2015 at 7:03 am

HI Soutie and a Happy New Year to you too. Which ‘half’ do you have in question 4?

18. Soutie
    January 1, 2015 at 7:21 am

4) rhyme?
    5) deck the halls with holly
    6) strippers dancing girls

😉

19. January 1, 2015 at 7:24 am

Time?

20. January 1, 2015 at 7:28 am

Naeh, it’s prime (as in rib, paint and minister)

21. January 1, 2015 at 7:54 am

4) rhyme and prime;
    5) Deck the hall with boughs of holly;
    6) yeah Soutie we wish!

January 1, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Apologies JM – but it was well, well past midnight here – and I had been celebrating NY with the usual beverages … 🙂

I can’t join in – since the only answers I now know I had to do a ‘cheat-google’

… many thanks PG for this 🙂

23. January 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm

A Good New Year to you PNG. Echoed by Mrs M.

Who offers ‘Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer’ for No. 7. But only if the dash is irrelevant and the last ‘pom’ is a rest.

This means absolutely nothing to me but she says that it should make sense to you.

She also says, by the way, that No. 10 is usually written as ‘dewe in Aprylle’ and that it’s one of her favourites.

24. January 1, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Absolutely correct Mrs M – a favourite of mine too!

As for number 7, suppose I re-wrote the metre as “da daa – didaa da da da da” though I fear I’m digging a grave for myself here. Last and obvious clue will be posted at 18:00 hrs GMT.

25. January 1, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Final clue to number 7 = washing socks at night.

Taxi! . .

26. January 1, 2015 at 6:32 pm

You tease, PH!

Any other competitions awaiting judges’ verdicts? 😉

27. January 1, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Good evening, PNG

OK. Mrs M now has the answer but is definitely not happy!

Apparently, she usually sings that one to ‘Winchester Old’ and does not, therefore, recognise your ‘poms’. She is also still not happy about the dash which she holds to have been a snare and a delusion. .

‘While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night’.

28. January 1, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Correction and apologies, PNG. ‘Winchester Old is your version. She can’t remember the name of the one she sings..

It’s a worry!

29. January 1, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Apologies to Mrs M – the question was put in as a tease and was NOT well thought out. (Originally I played the bass line and invited listeners to guess the carol.)

Janus – yes; results of Poetry Competition will be published by 10 a.m. tomorrow.

30. January 1, 2015 at 9:03 pm

JM – if the title tune comes to mind please let me know!

31. January 1, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Mrs M’s compliments, PNG. It’s the Arthur Sullivan version with which she is familiar. As also often used for ‘It Came Upon the Midnight Clear’.

32. January 1, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Happy New Year Mr. Mackie: That’s a relief, I thought for a moment it might be “Cranbrook”.

33. January 1, 2015 at 10:08 pm

A Good New Year to you too, LW.

Nowt wrong with ‘Cranbrook’ when one is hatless on the heath.

And, having just sounded it out, I can see how it could serve for sedentary, nocturnal flock-observing ovine operatives. .

34. January 1, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Phew !!

Having always sung the shepherds’ sock-washing song to the same tune, Boadicea and I were relieved to find that it was in fact “Winchester Old” – hence fully approved for Poms and their Aussie derivatives.

Having visited Ilkla as a child – sans chapeau – I was a little shocked to discover that the tune could be varied from the one I had learnt, which also, apparently, had a name. How disconcerting. 😦

However, this put me in mind of a little ditty (not a carol) that we learned in ‘O’ level Latin. If memory serves, it went something like this –

Natu in summo monte in Tennessee
    Viridissima civitas in patria liberi …

Who was it?

35. January 1, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Bearsy a very Good New Year to you.

I got his chapeau for Christmas when I was eight.

Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.

36. January 2, 2015 at 1:10 am

That’s the chap! Possibly an ancestor of James T Kirk and his final front ear? 🙂

A very Happy New Year to you too.

37. January 2, 2015 at 7:42 am