Promises

On my right, an elected lying toad: We’ll get a better EU deal, trust me.

On my left, an unelected lying toad: Oh no you won’t, trust me.

Sounds promising, eh?

1. June 22, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Boris was my MP. He was great and as far as I know doesn’t tell lies. You should remember that he won the London mayoral elections twice in an predominately labour City. No mean achievement. You shouldn’t tar Boris the same as Dave who really does ‘speak with forked tongue,.

2. June 22, 2016 at 8:07 pm

The unelected above is Juncker.

3. June 22, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I think Juncker’s statement for for what it’s worth may just have tipped the balance in favour of Brexit. Still think the result will be a close call, Janus.

I agree with Jazz re Boris. He was my MP too, although I’m not sure he would make a good PM.

4. June 22, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Araminta: Juncker was never intended to actually take the position he holds. After Cameron mishandled the situation Merkel forced him through. He’s not suited temperamentally for it. He isn’t patient enough, he isn’t diplomatic enough. He is far better suited for Tusk’s position as Juncker is excellent at arranging stick-ups and back-room deals. Whatever his faults, and I despise him utterly, he is at least relatively honest about what his goals are and what can and cannot be done. Cameron is a far nastier liar.

June 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I think Junker’s comment is timely for Brexit – as is, also, the comment from a German manufacturer saying that it would be foolish to erect trade barriers against Britain.

6. June 22, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Boadicea: the last debate could help as well. The “remain” side were very shrill and very nasty. The “leave” side were positive and optimistic and discussed issues. The “remain” side made it personal. Even if Davidson and Johnson brushed it off, it really turned many off.

7. June 23, 2016 at 8:07 am

On Juncker’s watch as PM, Luxembourg engineered tax avoidance schemes for multinationals. Nobody forced him to take job of Pres of the EU which gives him status far beyond his abilities or deserts.

8. Four-eyed English Genius
    June 23, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Just done my bit and voted to remove all traces of the Star Spangled Sphincter from This Sceptred Isle.