Home > General > Ho Hum

Ho Hum

Ho hum. I finished my certification to be an English teacher today. I also have a confirmed departure date from Spain of 1 December 2016 with the destination of Stockholm. Where will I be in January? Will it be Russia? Will it be Japan? Will it be Taiwan or Indonesia? Who knows.

1. April 29, 2016 at 4:05 pm

C, you have created a free life which many might envy; others might fear. I’m certain you will make the most of it.

2. April 29, 2016 at 4:13 pm

It’s not a life I am keen on, but it will have to do for now. I’m finalising plans to move to Dorset permanently In 2018 or 2019.

3. April 29, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Sounds like a clear goal. What’s not to like ? 😎

4. April 29, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Janus: perhaps, but I’m growing tired of moving around. Spain is an absolute dead-end. There is work, but I have no desire to run about with no stability or predictability being told how wonderful it is to be in Spain.

5. April 30, 2016 at 2:04 am

Christopher,

Your English is better than mine. Congratulations on being a certified teacher.
    I’m going to ask you a Shoot (an old style football magazine I used to read before I upgraded to World Soccer!) question.
    Favourite country visited so far and why?

6. April 30, 2016 at 9:25 am

TR: Thank you, thank you. It was a long process but I’m confident enough to start teaching again.
    My favourite country you ask? It is a tie of three countries. The United Kingdom and Australia are like homes for me. Beautiful, eccentric, eclectic and open I’ve found few places more engaging. The third is Japan. The Japanese are among the most gracious, warm and kind people you can meet. Japan has some of the world’s most beautiful natural scenery.There have been times watching the sunset over the Japanese countryside that I’ve wanted to cry because it is so breath-taking. Outside of Tokyo and Osaka the atmosphere of the country is something difficult to explain, but everything in Japan is of the best quality. True, Japan lacks the spontaneity and chaotic freedom of South-East Asia, it is, after all, a very conservative, highly ordered society but it gives far more for it.

7. April 30, 2016 at 3:44 pm

The UK and Australia? I think you’re playing to the gallery, Christopher. The UK I can understand but Australia…

I had a feeling your favourite would be Japan. You have spoken favourably about this country in the past and posted an excellent summation here. Now and again, on a previous recommendation from yourself, I have a wee browse at The Japan Times website. Should read more of it. Manga is big in Japan but, yet again, not enough hours in the day. I’ll stick to the Marvel comics. Good for the imagination.

Another Shoot.
    On your travels what is the most unusual food you’ve eaten?

8. April 30, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I enjoyed Japan too – and Aus, but the architecture downunder was so reminiscent I got homesick!

9. April 30, 2016 at 6:25 pm

TR: From the second I arrived in Australia I felt like I was home. I like the people, the country, the scenery, the lifestyle — everything, really. It’s very British, but also very, very different — the familiar recast in a new light. If you want to get a good sense of Japan, watch two films. The first is “Honey and Clover”, the second is “Kikujiro’s Summer”. While slightly fantastic, they both show an insight into the Japanese character — somewhat eccentric and strange, but generally warm and very civilised. Manga is interesting enough, but it can get “strange”.

The strangest thing I’ve ever eaten… Stewed pig’s anus in Shanghai.

Janus: the familiar comforts me. Australia is Australia and no one can deny that, but it’s something I can easily understand. I never understood the US, I know it, but don’t understand it. Australia is much more like Britain. I hear New Zealand is even more so!

April 30, 2016 at 11:33 pm

NZ? Sheep shagging and they roll the sidewalks up at 9pm!
    Worse ‘n wales!!

11. April 30, 2016 at 11:36 pm

CO: what do you call a flock of sheep? NZ speed dating, of course. Oh, the pavements roll up at 9 PM? Sounds idyllic. I really can’t grasp the appeal to going out at night. If I do, it’s to sports centre which is maybe 3 yards from my front door! Needless to say I confuse Spaniards.

12. May 1, 2016 at 7:13 am

Yes the Spaniards are nocturnal, even in the daytime, if you catch my drift. And irrationally aggressive about their culture. As a student I met a pretty lass therefrom (a JM word?) who without provocation reprimanded me for being ignorant of Cervantes’ greatness. A dark obsession.

13. May 1, 2016 at 8:50 am

Janus: Younger Spaniards aren’t quite as aggressive, but they’re still intensely proud. One Spanish woman thought she needed to make snide comments to me because I was joking about Spanish bureaucrats! Naturally, I told her that they might have free health insurance, but that Germany still owned Spain and that they couldn’t even get a budget passed without Berlin’s permission. Naturally I am not her favourite person. I will leave for a long month at the end of July. I am very much looking forward to that.

14. May 1, 2016 at 10:41 am

Truth can be a bitter pill! It us symptomatic of the Med members of the EU that they can pretend to be strong nations, despite the facts.

15. May 1, 2016 at 11:14 am

It is interesting comparing the positions of Sweden, the United Kingdom and Denmark with those of Portugal, Spain and Ireland. The UK, Sweden and Denmark all have problems with private debt and the UK has serious concerns with public debt as well. However, the free-floating Kronor and Pound Sterling provide security from the madness of the euro project. Even the ERM-II Kroner allows Denmark some leverage and ability to distance itself from the insanity that starts just south of it. In all cases, they manage their own financial affairs with relatively little interference. Portugal, Spain and Ireland have been reduced to mere Satropies with less fiscal autonomy than US states. They dislike it, but they’re too proud to admit it even though they know it’s true. Med countries are good for holidays but wretched to live in — at least if you like order, predictability and a sensible lifestyle.

16. May 2, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Christopher, let us hope your plans are realised in 2018/19. Meanwhile – travel and go well!

17. May 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm

PG: I am attracted to the UK like a moth to a flame. I might as well live there as I invariably go there at the expense of anything and everything else in Europe, except Scandinavia — the presence of Viking-type chum in Denmark brings me there on a regular basis.