Home > Sport, Techo stuff > Spring equinox quiz (not for sport haters)

Spring equinox quiz (not for sport haters)

The clues refer to the beginnings of current or recent Premiership managers/coaches’ names (first or second, e.g. ‘beer’ might tempt you to think Ale(x Ferguson), innit?

So here goes:

1. Bottom
  2. Decent golf
  3. Everybody
  4. Hinder
  5. Hastened
  6. Danish boy conqueror
  7. Clippety
  8. French egg
  9. Per ardua ad astra
  10. Skin for no. 6
Now that didn’t hurt, did it? Answers please on Cadbury’s chocolate eggs asap!
Categories: Sport, Techo stuff Tags:
  1. March 25, 2016 at 11:36 am

I understand none of this. Alex Salmond is clearly at fault.

2. March 25, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Afternoon J, now this is what you call a blog!

Blowing on my fingernails and polishing them on my Rangers top I know most of them but like Mr Mackie (who, no doubt, will know them all) I will answer one and let the others guess.

1. Arsene Wenger.

3. March 25, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Shouldn’t know this one. Golf is almost as bad as rugby.

2. Alan Pardew.

4. March 25, 2016 at 2:25 pm

3. Oh, that’s right, I said I’d answer just one. Desperately wanting to answer this one as the manager shares the same Christian name as my favourite actor.

5. March 25, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the quiz, J-man, I’ll ask the members of my five-a-side team tonight and see how they get on.

6. March 25, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Glad you approve, JW!

Let’s hope we’re not alone…..

March 26, 2016 at 7:22 am

Being of a Scouse persuasion I could never forgive myself if I did not mention

7. Jurgen ‘Clippety’ Klopp.

nor indeed one of his predecessors,

9. RAFa Benitez

March 26, 2016 at 7:25 am

Good quiz, btw. In fact, If Carlsberg did quizzes……….

9. March 26, 2016 at 8:04 am

Two afficianados – excellent. 😆⚽️

10. March 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Three of us!

Like JW, I know most of them but am struggling with a couple.

5. Claudio Ranieri.

11. March 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

You’re the man, JM!

All guesses correct so far so here’s a clue:

No. 6 is the title of an award-winning film.

12. March 26, 2016 at 7:05 pm

6. Manuel Pellegrini (late of Manchester City). Rest are too easy.

13. March 26, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Not 100% sure of these guys but I’ll try and pot a red and then a blue.

4. Alan Curbishley (Charlton Athletic- ONE)
    8. Jose Mourinho (Chelsea- SIX)

14. March 26, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Before you bring it up, Janus, good on England. The bloody Germans deserved to lose and England played a solid game.

March 26, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Your title mentions “sport haters”, Janus. But the thing is all about football which is only one sport. I’m sure this must count as something-ism.

16. March 27, 2016 at 5:32 am

Well! LW found Pelle the Conqueror but didin’t mention no . 10.

JW, both incorrect!!

17. March 27, 2016 at 5:36 am

Sheona, will exaggeratism do? 😊

18. March 27, 2016 at 9:09 am

Foul! And a miss. Janus- four points.

Pelle the Conqueror is a good one. Never heard of the bloke.

March 27, 2016 at 10:15 am

Curse you, JW! I lay awake half the night, staring at the ceiling and trying to get a French egg out of José Mourinho – not an image to be conjured with I can tell you. That and a six point blue ball did little for my repose. And now this morning that errant sixer blue ball less one for the red leaves four.

Just for all that I’m having Sam Allardyce for No.3, so there!

Sob!

20. March 27, 2016 at 11:13 am

Correct, OZ!

March 27, 2016 at 3:20 pm

10. Being on somewhat of a roll, we (the NSW who is pretty good at sports and a pretty good sport as well and I) think the answer is Brian McDermott, the former manager of Reading.

March 27, 2016 at 3:21 pm

And if not, why not?

23. March 27, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Cos it ain’t. Simples. 😎

24. March 27, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Solutions to be published tomorrow.

25. March 27, 2016 at 5:29 pm

3. Sam Allardyce (ALL over, now Sunderland?)

5. Claudio Ranieri. (Leicester City) RAN in the the news even over here, wins attributed to intervention by that “glorious son of York”.

26. March 27, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Come on! French egg, you linguists…

27. March 27, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Greetings OZ, my wolf cousin,

You say meringue, I say Mouringue. It must be a regional thing.

As for the big break that wasn’t. I thought I potted a red but the ref didn’t cry foul so I continued. There was an easy green available but I refuse to acknowledge that colour so I went for the blue which is worth five points, so if you include the red the total break would have been six.(1 + 5 = 6) The century was curtailed when an offside flag went up and we went back to the original offense. A miss on the red. Thus, four points away. Hope you understand all that because I don’t.

Back to the game. I’ll try another shot that could well go over the crossbar.

4. Harry Redknapp.

28. March 27, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Oops! sorry about the last for 3 and 6, I read the questions again but not the coments.

Re: Egging in French, allons, vite, none of them work.

March 27, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Janus, what has “un oeuf français” got to do with football?

March 27, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Janus – No. 8. The only bit of French left in the Premiership is Francesco Guidolin. If this is right (and I would have no idea why) I’m coming straight over to Scandinavia to rip your throat out for extreme obscurity.

JW – Your logic on 1 plus 5 disallowed less the original 4 is worthy only of an appeal under the C@lt#c variation which even the referees of Mornington Crescent found beyond the pale. As for No. 4, it better hadn’t be Harry Redknapp ‘cos I’m not staying up all night again trying to reconcile it. Instead, I’m off to bed with a vote for Remy Garde, which is equally inexplicable, but possibly more likely.

Nighty night all.

9. RAFael Benitez, Newcastle Utd
    10. Guus HUDdink, Chelsea

E & E O!

33. March 28, 2016 at 10:55 am

Or rather….E & O E!

34. March 28, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Janus, I am not a sports hater, but mostly uninterested in football. Apart from that I rather practise it than watching or folling others doing it.

35. March 28, 2016 at 3:29 pm

FoE, this post is about having fun! And laughing at our own ideas. Very English, nicht Wahr?

36. March 28, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Very enjoyable, J, thanks.

Made all the better by a few bad misses that could make it onto the next Sporting Bloopers DVD and funny comments by OZ.

37. March 28, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Bugrit (copyright TB, misquoting Sir TP).

It appears that, sans Google. I had most of them, save for 6, 10 and the alleged answer to 4.

I stand, heart and hand, with JW in re ‘Curb’ for ‘Hinder’. Still sounds far more right than ‘Mar’ to me. It must be a Jock thing

Whether or not you believe me, I had decided that the French egg had to have been poached to fit any of the available options.

I just,blame myself for never having heard of the film and for not knowing the Danish word for skin. A misspent youth strikes yet again.

Thanks for the quiz, Janus, Most enjoyable.

38. March 28, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Lads, I feel a bit guilty about ‘mar’. A true synonym would have been ‘spoil’. But hey! This could be the start of something big. 😎

39. March 28, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I hope so, J. We need to give OZ more sleepless nights.

And, JM, I thought you might have cracked the old Scottish doughnut/meringue joke. Some other time, perhaps.

March 29, 2016 at 8:19 am

My work here is done. From the depths of a warm and quiet Cave, one ear set at permanent alert, one amber eye glowing in the dark, fur on hair-trigger ‘standby’ mode, zzzzzzz!

41. March 29, 2016 at 10:17 am

Sorry, JM. I did miss it. It’s that old Weegie v Embran thing. Over here, the joke compares and contrasts an eclair and a meringue