Home > Creativity, History, Poetry > Seemed like a nice boy

Seemed like a nice boy

David_Bowie_s_firs_2636618n

1964. Interviewed about long hair…….

R.I.P.

Categories: Creativity, History, Poetry
  1. January 12, 2016 at 3:11 pm

….even if his lyrics never scanned or rhymed or owt! 🎢🎀🎢

Not surprising when he could’t decide how to pronounce his name….

January 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm

A somewhat strange and ephemeral creature to emerge from Brixton.
    The costumes were a giggle but I can’t say I went in for the screaming (aka singing) too much.

3. January 12, 2016 at 4:48 pm

B-b-but the rock n’ roll! Let’s dance! 🎀🎢🎀

January 12, 2016 at 6:15 pm

His music wasn’t too much cop to dance to, one of my main complaints!
    I rather preferred ballroom dancing, much more elegant, until flung down the floor in a Scottish reel at the Aberdeen Athenaeum! Beautiful brand new pure silk georgette dress never worn again! Ouch!.
    One of the more memorable New Year’s Eves.

5. January 12, 2016 at 6:16 pm

CO: isn’t “strange” a near-obligatory descriptions for creatures emerging from Brixton?
    I can’t say that I was ever terribly fond of Bowie’s music although his stage performances were a riot.

6. January 12, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Hey, less of the brixtonophobe stuff! Some of one’s best friends hail from thereabouts. 😎

The scotch aren’t known for their rockers – except Annie Lennox. Pity about the frock, CO, but you have to expect it from strictly bollux evenings. πŸ‘—

January 12, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Brixton is full of the strangest creatures of all varieties. My aunt used to live in Streatham Park, so Brixton was very convenient for Saturday morning shopping down the market. Still got a mirror in Brum that I bought there a million years ago! Those were the sixties when Brixton was as black as your hat. No wogs and very few whites. But some jolly good shops. I also knew the school that Bowie went to in Bromley. Burnt Ash lane, you couldn’t get any rougher in Bromley if you tried, all white escapees from Brixton and Lewisham. To be shuddered at delicately!
    My my, no multicult then, white flight personified.

January 12, 2016 at 7:01 pm

I’ll give the Scots their due, they sure know how to party!

9. January 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Yes, ma’am! Bowie is allegedly a Scotch name – although young David liked the eponymous knife.

January 13, 2016 at 3:02 am

I think you will find that Bowie’s original name was David Robert Jones, born in Brixton 8/1/1947. He moved to Bromley in 1953 – a few years after Winifred Atwell started buying properties in Brixton to house the numbers of West Indians arriving in Britain. It was still legal to discriminate on the grounds of race at that time.

How odd, Christina – I lived at the Oval in the sixties – and mother lived in Streatham Park! I agree about the shopping!

I can’t say Bowie’s music did much for me either. But, he certainly pleased a lot people – so who am I to judge!

11. January 13, 2016 at 3:28 am

Janus: Bowie’s father was from Yorkshire, not too far from Jockland. If I caused offence, I blame Alex Salmond.

Tina: “multi-culti” neighbourhoods only do well when all residents are affluent. Belgravia and Chelsea certainly aren’t suffering from their diversity, but I’d be hesitant to spend much time in Lewisham — even in the day! It’s obvious that the creators of “multi-culti” were never those who lived in sink estates.

12. January 13, 2016 at 3:29 am

Boadicea: interesting. So he had Welsh antecedents.

13. January 13, 2016 at 6:20 am

David Bowie (Jones) wasn’t Scottish or Welsh. If anything other than a dyed-in-the-wool Sarf Lunnoner, he was a Kentish-Yorkie mongrel, both sides of which are generally staunchly anti-Jock and anti-Taff.

Brixton wasn’t all bad by any means. I lived there, on and off, over a period of about three years in the early ’60s. Never got mugged, car never got “customised” or had its tyres nicked. But I did know which streets to avoid, I suppose. πŸ™‚

14. January 13, 2016 at 7:54 am

Backside, the polymath, knew he was formerly a Jones, knew he wasn’t Scotch and I never said he was! Re-read my comment. 😑

15. January 13, 2016 at 8:44 am

What’s all the fuss about ?
    Sad for his family but that’s about all.
    Apparently I’m not the only person to think this.

16. January 13, 2016 at 8:59 am

No comment.

17. January 13, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Why bother then ?

January 13, 2016 at 6:17 pm

The image of a sylph-like Christina getting hurled round the Athenaeum will stay with me for a while, purple dress and all. But a Scottish reel is not often thought of as ballroom dancing. I can’t see it featuring on Strictly.

19. January 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Sheona, me culpa! But Strictly Reeling! What an idea for a programme!

20. January 14, 2016 at 8:56 am

I was impressed that Bowie kept his cancer to himself and opted for a simple cremation: no publicity, no fuss, no chance for the meeja to twist and spin his life events. Ever the professional, I’d say.