Home > Chips on Shoulders, Politics, Religion > Old Russell knew a thing or two

Old Russell knew a thing or two

bertrand russell quoteThat says it all about the Jihadi invasion of the West. If you’d like to ponder on a few more of his bons mots, here they are:

1. December 7, 2015 at 5:34 pm

He was labelled everything unfashionable but had both a brain and a heart.

2. December 7, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Hi Janus, I was reading “In praise of idleness” again, just the other day. It is a fine philosophy and one that I happily subscribe to. Having said that, I currently find myself working harder than I have done for many years, though I am determined to change that. Next year perhaps.

3. December 7, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Anyone reared with the protestant work ethic finds idleness a challenge. Do I have the right? Is it OK morally to do the minimum?

December 7, 2015 at 6:48 pm

“Is it OK morally to do the minimum?”

Not round me!
    I consider it parasitism and find them a job PDQ.

Considering Russell was an aristocrat I don’t think his witty aphorisms have very much relevance to real life as most of us live it.

5. December 7, 2015 at 7:06 pm

CO, we agree on some things but not on others. Epicurus was an interesting person, with philosophies that appear to me, an uneducated fool, to be similar to those of Russell. Whether or not Epicurus was an aristocrat, I cannot say, but, as an aristocrat living amongst peasants, I do not subscribe to the notion that an individual’s social status necessarily determines his propensity for hard work.

December 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm

“I do not subscribe to the notion that an individual’s social status necessarily determines his propensity for hard work.”
    Agree, but in this case he obviously never had to do anything for himself, the mechanics of life were done for him all he had to do was pontificate. Which he did in spades!

7. December 8, 2015 at 8:35 am

CO, Russell was not a parasite. He was a hard working academic. Or are they on your pogrom list too?