Home > General > Remembrance weekend & gravatars

Remembrance weekend & gravatars

I always think of “Toc” our late member when this time of the year comes around.

It was always he that stirred us into to casting our minds back and thinking of those who fell during the many conflicts, in many different parts of the world for far too long.

I was pleased to see the Springboks with the poppy on our shirt during the destruction of the Welsh in Cardiff yesterday. In remembrance of Toc and the millions of others, I’ve changed mine.

(re-posted from last year, complete with comments)

1. November 10, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thanks, soutie. (I think) I’ve changed mine too! 🙂

2. November 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

Great idea. 🙂

3. November 10, 2013 at 9:54 am

Thank you, Soutie.

November 11, 2013 at 10:23 am

So do I. I raise a glass to Toc, and the millions of those “who fell during the many conflicts, in many different parts of the world for far too long”.

5. November 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

11.11 at 11 o’clock. I observed my private minute. All of my generation have been touched by war – whether loss or deprivation. I hope that future generations have it in their hearts to remember. ‘Lest we forget.”

November 11, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Annually I sourly wonder how many of them would have gone to war quite so readily had they known how it was all going to turn out!

Not many!

7. November 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Today is a bank day that must be honoured, not celebrated. War is in the end futile. Many die, more are destroyed and any gains made are ephemeral. As Atatürk sagely observed, “war, unless the life of the nation is in mortal danger, is murder”. Let us then remember all those who died on the battlefields regardless of the flag they fought for. After all, those who fought fought for their countries.

November 12, 2013 at 12:18 am

Yeah, and they all had God on ‘their’ side!

Sorry about that but quite irresistible.

9. November 12, 2013 at 1:56 am

CO: God must be a politician, he’s on everybody’s side!

10. November 12, 2013 at 6:23 am

I always wonder how the losers deal with God being on their side.

November 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Janus, my four year old granddaughter came home from pre-school yesterday with two poppies of her own manufacture. The teachers had cut them out of red card and explained to the children why they were making them on 11th November. Encouraging.

12. Four-eyed English Genius
    November 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I was at Arlington Cemetery at the appointed hour. Barry turned up, naturally, but I could not get near enough to see him. Still it was good to pay ones respects, and several people asked me about my British poppy.

13. November 4, 2014 at 8:43 am

While I was in London a couple of days ago I was thinking of dropping down to the Tower to see the ceramic poppies. Glad I didn’t! Half of Britain had decided to do the same thing and the queues stretched across to the south bank! It’s a compelling tribute.

November 4, 2014 at 8:45 am

A Dead Statesman

I could not dig; I dared not rob:
    Therefore I lied to please the mob.
    Now all my lies are proved untrue
    And I must face the men I slew.
    What tale shall serve me here among
    Mine angry and defrauded young?

Rudyard Kipling

I think he got it just right and there is much more in the same vein. Top bloke.

15. November 4, 2014 at 12:10 pm

That’s a timely reminder, OZ, and thanks.

16. November 4, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I’ll be marching in The Parade on Sunday.