Home > General > Rousham Vista

Rousham Vista

A few weeks ago I was invited to an event at Rousham, a rather wonderful privately owned garden which is open to the public, but not to children, from 10 am to dusk each day.
The event was a fund raiser for a group of cyclists (The Valley Girls) who are planning a cycling trip across India. The star attraction was advertised as being ‘Pippa Greenwood, giving a talk about growing vegetables’ – plus a chance to mingle and nibble with a glass of wine and wander the garden until dusk. For me the star attraction was the chance to see the wonderful garden.

The weather was not promising. There were several heavy downpours of rain in the few hours leading up to the start of the evening, and I debated going in wellies… however the clouds cleared and we had a lovely evening among the borders.

??????????

??????????

1. August 17, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Thank you for the pictures and it is nice to “see” you again, Pseu!

2. Pseu
    August 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Been busy… how about you?

3. Pseu
    August 17, 2014 at 5:28 pm

PLease could these be considered for this
    https://charioteers.org/2014/07/29/snapper-of-the-month-august/ ? Thank you

4. Pseu
    August 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Rousham

I remember Rousham,
    and its empty car park,
    the quiet sweltering
    in the heat of June.
    The house was closed, so
    we took a late afternoon stroll
    along the double herbaceous borders,
    where plants tumbled uncontained
    onto the gravelled path,
    until we came to the tunnelled yews
    dark and mysterious enough to linger.

And afterwards we went
    all the way up to the folly.

August 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Lovely picture, good to see you.
    I know what you mean about being manically busy!

6. August 17, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Delightful spot, and good to see you, Nym 🙂

7. August 17, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Pseu, good evening.

A joy to see you active here again.

Fine pome and lovely photos.

8. Pseu
    August 17, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Evening all,
    we’ve had the ‘dreaded’ A level results, and the wee bairn’ll be off to Glasgow in 4 weeks,(all 6’3″ of him) for maths and philosophy, while the Techie lad has secured a placement year back in Bath for his ‘comp sci’ sandwich course.
    So the next few weeks are going to be busy, sorting out accommodation and the like, while still trying to work and all that.

THEN I’ll have the empty nest…..

9. August 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Congratulations to the lads, Nym. I bet you are proud of them. Regarding the empty nest, don’t bet on for a few more years yet. 😉

10. August 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Pseu? Glasgow?

Jings, Crivens, help ma boab and ochone, ochone. Thon’s a muckle loup for ony Southron.

Can he speir Weegie at all the noo? Aiblins JW could tak him under his oxter.

One would offer one’s own services but one comes from the sophisticated side of the country and would struggle with the necessary patois.

In seriousness, I am certain that the ‘wee bairn’ will enjoy his time in the ‘dear green place’. A fine Uni and not a bad place to be.

Embra’s better, of course.

11. August 17, 2014 at 9:59 pm

How’s it gaun, Pseu.

Good news about your lads. I’m sure your boy will love it up here. The city of culture. Mitchell library, Kelvingrove art gallery and museum, Wellington’s traffic cone, Ibrox Stadium, we’ve got the lot.

My oldest departed a few months ago. East he went of all places! I miss him terribly. That just leaves my younger one and I have him tied up in the barn. He’s not going anywhere.

(I’m only kidding about the barn thing and the tying up, just in case any one thinks I was being serious)

12. August 17, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Pseu: things have been alternating between overwhelmingly busy and dull with little warning.

13. Pseu
    August 18, 2014 at 11:01 am

Morning all,I agree Ara, it won’t be ’empty nest’ completely, but it may be empty until Christmas, then again until Easter etc etc….!
    We liked Glasgow, Mr Royal, when we went to have a look – but it was sunny. We saw it in a good light!
    John, no he doesn’t have any idea about the accent to date. But he has avoided going to B’ham, and I know which accent I prefer!
    Christopher, that’s tricky… not knowing when things will be busy / quiet. My own work can be like that