Home > General > Can this be the country that bred Sean Fitzpatrick and Ritchie McCaw?

Can this be the country that bred Sean Fitzpatrick and Ritchie McCaw?

It appears that the nanny state has reached New Zealand. Apparently, they are objecting to the baby car seat that Prince George uses!

Gerogie Boy

1. April 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

FEEG, as I’m sure you realise, this is bigger even than Sean and Ritchie, impinging on so many subjects crucial to the survival of humankind as we know it: motherhood, royalty and cars. All I dare say is that NZ is known to be 12 hours ahead and fifty years behind in most respects.

2. Soutie
    April 7, 2014 at 7:13 am

Does anybody have any idea why the lady pictured in the article installing the baby seat is wearing a high viz jacket?

3. April 7, 2014 at 7:33 am

As I said, it’s dangerous to tinker with motherhood, royalty and cars! 🙂

April 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Sorry I am lost, who the hell are the aforesaid mentioned Sean and Ritchie?
    And what have they to do with car seats for infants?

5. April 10, 2014 at 6:56 am

Christina, may I help? The above-mentioned lads are local legends – promoting NZ’s second biggest export, rugby (Harrry Potter being the first.) They were probably pushed aound in wheelbarrows as infants.

6. April 10, 2014 at 7:21 am

Or is it the Hobbit?

7. Soutie
    April 10, 2014 at 8:00 am

Lord of the Rings?

8. Soutie
    April 10, 2014 at 8:04 am

Which reminds me of a joke going ’round some years ago …

Who’s the highest paid NZ sportsman?

Answer, Tiger Woods’ caddie. 🙂

(Steve Williams, said to be worth some $20 miilion !!! )

April 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm

that explains it then!

10. April 10, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Just for the record, it’s Richie (short for Richard) and not Ritchie McCaw. Definite New Zealander and hardly Jockish at all as it was, according to Wiki, his great-great grandfather who emigrated from the Scottish Borders.

He is in the all time team of Rugby players that I cordially dislike (not going to say hate in case Sipu gets humphy). Their Captain is, of course, Will Carling.

McCaw has spent his entire career bending the Laws of the Game out of all shape and is a total disgrace. I, for one, have absolutely no respect for his opinion on car seats. Sean Fitzpatrick is a good egg to be fair and I would be prepared to listen to him on the subject.

Clive Rowlands is at scrum half of the team in case you’re bothered. I will never forgive him for my afternoon at Murrayfield in 1963 when the Welsh bored us into submission 0-6 with 111 line outs in 80 minutes of muddy tedium.

11. Four-eyed English Genius
    April 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Oooh, Mr Mackie!

a) Sean Fitzpatrick was a front row player, so obviously a superior being!

b) For a long time, Scotland Rugby success was based on the entire back row getting away with being a yard offside for the whole game, so I don’t think you can criticise Richie [sic] McCaw too heavily for much the same thing 🙂

12. April 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Och FEEG.

It’s a fair cop and I did think that you might spot the irony involved. I admit that there may well have been the rare occasion when the partial observer might think that we have been a wee thing the wrong side but McCaw is still the Master.

Any nominations for your own Rugby Scumbags XV? It’s fun. I’ve presently got Dylan Hartley at hooker for mine. He displaced Brian Moore who has redeemed himself by being a superb commentator on the game. In my opinion.

13. April 11, 2014 at 7:19 am

Brian is also in the legal profession! Surprise! 🙂

14. April 11, 2014 at 7:26 am

Save a back-row place for Lawrence Dallaglio!

15. Four-eyed English Genius
    April 11, 2014 at 10:28 am

Mr M:

One does spring to mind. Always offside, but worse, a big mouth. David Campese on the wing!