Home > General > David Webster

David Webster

I blame gazoopi for this trip of mine down memory lane, his poetry competition “Nostalgia” got me thinking of all sorts of stuff.

At the end of this month it’ll be 25 years since the assassination of David Webster, I remember it like it was yesterday.

Here’s Mango Groove’s tribute to the man.

1. April 5, 2014 at 7:29 am

Thanks, Soutie. I hadn’t realised it was nine years before his killer was convicted.

2. Soutie
    April 5, 2014 at 7:43 am

Môre Jay

Not remembering any of the details I assume that not much would have happened ’till after the ’94 elections, it would have been a long trial, there were numerous charges, the time frame sort of makes sense.

3. April 5, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hi Soutie

I had never heard of David Webster before and am grateful that you led me to his story. A good man.

In 1966-7, I had the necessary Higher passes and was waiting to take up my place at the Uni of Embra. One of the subjects that I took to pass the time was Sixth Year Studies History. I chose the Civil Rights movement in the Southern states of the US, with particular reference to the campaign to get Blacks on to the voting registers, as one of my topics.

That’s when I first read about the deaths of Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney.

Later, the film ‘Mississippi Burning’ was based on their murders but it bore as much relation to the actual events as ‘Braveheart’ did to the story of William Wallace.

So, it’s thanks from me to you and to Gazoopi for the ‘Nostalgia’ competition.Since I first read about them, I have had the knowledge of the deaths of those three young men in Neshoba County, Mississippi. Your post brought my youthful memories and feelings about those tragic deaths flooding back.

4. April 6, 2014 at 9:52 am

I am not sure if this link will work, but if it does, it will perhaps show that not all murders are considered equal.

5. Soutie
    April 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hi Sipu, your link works fine.

… but why you felt the need to link a page of random, gruesome ‘farm murder’ victims to a post which essentially is a trip down memory lane to me (and others) perhaps needs further explanation, would a separate post on the subject not have been preferable?

(And yes, I do know farmers who have been murdered right here in the E.Cape, not by the government, not for political gain but for greed.)

6. April 6, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Soutie, may I nominate you for the annual award for diplomacy? 😉

7. April 7, 2014 at 7:01 am

Soutie, I find it surprising that you do not appear to believe that the ANC lends at least tacit approval to the farm murders. It is a terror campaign, bordering on genocide, that the government is doing very little, if anything, to stop. To my mind, their mention is as valid as that of the Mississippi killings. The difference is, though, there will be few mainstream songs, films or buildings commemorating their deaths.

8. Soutie
    April 7, 2014 at 7:08 am

Morning Sipu

No I do not believe that, I believe that the perpetrators are criminals preying on isolated individuals / families, whom they think are soft targets.

9. April 7, 2014 at 11:37 am