Home > Competition, Photography, Transport > 2nd Photography Competition 2014

2nd Photography Competition 2014

The theme for this competition is Transport, which you may interpret as imaginatively as you see fit: trains and boats and planes, etc., and even ponies – see my illustration below!

Please post your entries in this thread by midnight on the 31st March. No limits on the number of entries per person, and I am happy to have a go at sorting out any HTML failures, and there are admins who can help too.

One tip you may find useful: I used to post my photos on one of my own threads to see if it worked. You can always delete them.

Looking forward to your entries. πŸ™‚

1. March 5, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Ara – that horse picture is just magical. The picture would be front cover for a best selling children’s story. Transport? I will try and think outside the box!

2. March 5, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hello PapaG.

She was a very photogenic, pretty pony, and very nice natured. She does look quite magical in this photo, but she wasn’t quite so lovely covered in mud!

Any entries from you would be most welcome.

3. March 7, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I took a picture of the Sydney Harbour Bridge yesterday — would that count?

4. March 8, 2014 at 7:16 am

Christopher, as the sole entry it can’t fail! πŸ™‚

5. March 8, 2014 at 9:31 am

You are quite right, Janus.

I’d be grateful for a photo of anything at the moment, Christopher! πŸ˜‰

March 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

Araminta :

You are quite right, Janus.

I’d be grateful for a photo of anything at the moment, Christopher! ;)

There’s time! You just might get one from me – now I’ve worked out what to take a photo of πŸ™‚

7. March 8, 2014 at 11:31 am

Splendid news, Boadicea. πŸ™‚

8. Soutie
    March 9, 2014 at 7:07 am

A hastily taken pic of a lady waiting at a taxi rank yesterday.

I took the pic as I was waiting at a red light, note the minbus taxis in the backround hundreds of them waiting for fares.

9. March 9, 2014 at 11:47 am

Thank you, Soutie. πŸ™‚

10. March 9, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  11. Shermeen
    March 11, 2014 at 9:33 am

Good morning, Araminta. I am looking in here after ages…had no idea where and how I lost track. Your photo appeals to me on all levels. The setting is my idea of heaven and the pony is exquisite. I could stare at the image for hours. Beautiful!

On a separate note, I wonder if I can use your blog Araminta to say hello to Boadicea. I hope you are very well, Boadicea. Been thinking of you lately. My best wishes and warm regards!

12. March 11, 2014 at 10:01 am

Shermeen, how lovely to see you again after so long! Why not blog yourself, pretty please ? πŸ™‚

13. March 11, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hello Shermeen, lovely to see you and thank you for your comment. I’m pleased you enjoyed my photograph.

Please feel free to use my blog. πŸ™‚

March 11, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Hi! Shermeen! Good to see you here!

I wll get that photo today Araminta!

15. Shermeen
    March 12, 2014 at 11:52 am

Thank you, Janus and Araminta for your responses and hello, Boadicea. It is nice to be here.

I was never good at blogging, Janus and I think my ‘status’ here only allows me to comment.

16. March 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Hi Araminta, last year my wife and I, with a couple of friends cycled the Canal Du Midi from Toulouse to Sete. It is about 240Km and we stayed in little B7Bs on route. As it was my first cycle tour I wasn’t sure what to expect, but loved every minute of it. Therefore cycling has to be my choice for a transport photo. This picture is taken in front of our house in Toulouse as we were setting off. I am the good looking one πŸ™‚

17. March 12, 2014 at 4:58 pm

18. March 12, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Well of course, Gaz, I recognised you immediately. πŸ˜‰

Thank you for the entry; much appreciated.

19. Soutie
    March 13, 2014 at 11:52 am

I saw this chap trundling along the side of the road today with his firewood.

20. March 14, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Great, another one!

Thanks, Soutie.

21. March 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Araminta, Good evening and, I think, a Good New Year to you. Sorry if I’ve already greeted you for 2014. The memory is not what it was

There is only one form of transport (or lack of it) worth recording in Embra just now. They go live in May. and the Council have started trialling them. I have yet to have the luck to see one moving.

So, I drove out to the the depot to see if they really existed. Amazingly, theydo appear to. Worth every penny of the Β£776m. Allegedly!.

22. March 22, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Second Serve

23. Soutie
    March 23, 2014 at 6:10 am

Β£776m ❓

24. March 24, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thank you for your photo, Mr Mackie.

I do believe we have done the New Year bit!

25. Pseu
    March 26, 2014 at 9:21 am

I have been away, busy, working, swimming, gardening and the like. Have just found this and will look into the theme immediately. πŸ™‚ …. (well soon, anyway, given that I’m working shifts for the next few days )

26. Pseu
    March 26, 2014 at 9:32 am

Ackershally this may do:

Sorry I always fail at the ‘putting photos into comments’ hurdle, and hope this will suffice?

27. March 26, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Nym.

No problem. Thank you!

28. Soutie
    March 26, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I’ve been to our local Animal Welfare Society quite a few times this past month, on each visit I’ve been keeping an eye out for their horsebox, for your pony. Unfortunately each time I’ve visited, the box has been out, so I saw this out of the corner of my eye, a bit small for your pony but transport for a four legged friend nevertheless πŸ˜‰

A bit battered but I’m told that it does the job!

29. March 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Many thanks, Soutie.

Not long to go, and I’m happy to have some more.
    Boadicea?

30. March 29, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Hi Araminta.

Finally saw one in motion. Heading home on Friday night, it glid past me. I grabbed my camera, rested my intrusive right elbow on the sill of the open window of the driver door and caught it in my wing mirror.

Which is why the tram is heading off to the tropriA.

31. Pseu
    March 29, 2014 at 10:31 pm
    March 30, 2014 at 8:57 am

Oldest form of transport:

33. Pseu
    March 30, 2014 at 9:06 am

πŸ™‚
    Shank’s Pony?

March 30, 2014 at 9:15 am

That’s right!

35. March 30, 2014 at 11:09 am

I see that shanks’s pony originated in the late 18th century: first recorded as shanks-nag in R. Fergusson’s Poems (1785).

Another North British event of note! πŸ™‚

36. March 30, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Wow, thank you very much, Boadicea, Mr Mackie and Nym! πŸ™‚

37. Soutie
    March 31, 2014 at 7:13 am

JM’s pic made me sit up and take notice, are they powering those trams from overhead cables? Who thought up that bright idea? Emmat Brown?

38. March 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hello Soutie:
    I’m assuming yours was a serious question.

All Trams (running on rails) and Trolley Buses (no rails) are powered from overhead cables (one wire in the case of trams, two in the case of trolley buses) via Pantographs (the spring loaded contact mechanism), it’s the only safe way to provide high voltage to the electric motors.

Trams are very like trains, at the end of the route the driver gets out and reverses the pantograph then, driving from the other end, he drives the tram backwards to the beginning of the route. Trolley buses usually run on circular routes.

There are a few strange exceptions, San Francisco has Cable Cars which are clutched to a cable running in a slot between the rails, they run at constant speed (the speed that the cable moves) and have manual brakes for the steep down grades, to stop the car completely the cable is released but it (the cable) keeps moving while the car is at the stop.

39. Soutie
    April 1, 2014 at 6:24 am

Morning LW

It just seems so “Back to the Futureish”

Overhead high voltage power lines in the 21st century!

And the cost of it all, I googled Edinburgh after my #23 and discovered that the population is only some 480,000. That’s Β£1,600 for every man woman and child!

We’ll probably be told that it’s “green”, powered by a windmill farm up int the highlands and when the wind doesn’t blow plans are afoot to harness ‘wave power’ from the North sea.

I would have thought that in this day and age reverting to Victorian style transportation was … well, dated!
    πŸ˜‰

40. April 1, 2014 at 7:32 am

Aye, weel…..G’morgen, Soutie. Go gently with the Scots – they’re a touch fragile just now. πŸ˜‰