Home > Competition, Flounce, History, Nature, Photography, Politics, Techo stuff > Now that’s what I call a grandfather clause!

Now that’s what I call a grandfather clause!

The Grauniad claims an exclusive – the story that the Danish gubmint plans to oppose Britain’s bid to reclaim control of its coastal waters to the exclusion of ‘traditional’ fishing partners. Apparently the Danes will present a legal case based on custom and practice dating back to the 1400s which will permit DK to continue net 40% of their catch in British waters – and the whole EU fleet to source a third of its fish there too.

Shades of Kirk Kent and the Viking invasion in 1983? Yes, which suggests the true precedent is the status quo prior to that, whereby Britain was in control! Since then the EU ‘accord’ has decimated the British fleet and allowed all and sundry to fish around our islands.

1. April 19, 2017 at 9:02 am

At the Dorset County Museum a group of decapitated Danish skeletons are on display. Perhaps it’s time for a few officials to pay it a visit?

2. April 19, 2017 at 9:06 am

Well the Guardian would say that wouldn’t they.
    The reality is that if we gain control of our waters we can licence whosoever we wish to fish in them. More importantly we can enforce a sensible conservation scheme.
    So that the Danes or whoever will have to dance to our tune rather than hoovering up all the sand eels and feeding them to the pigs.
    If you’ve noticed that Danish Bacon tastes a bit fishy, that’s why.

3. April 19, 2017 at 9:28 am

Yes, a nice, friendly licence will probably deter Spain from its Gibraltar stupidity.

Splutter, sizzle, whaa-a-at? Y’don’t like Danish bacon? Heresy!

4. April 19, 2017 at 9:40 am

British bacon from your local butcher is vastly superior.

5. April 19, 2017 at 9:47 am

Jazz is correct. The quality of British meats, fruits and vegetables is second to none. Danish pork products aren’t necessarily bad, but like the Hollanders, quality is at times sacrificed for quantity and cost advantage.

6. April 19, 2017 at 9:49 am

Akshully, Jazz, they sell fine British bacon at a local supermarket!

7. April 19, 2017 at 9:56 am

Costco has good bacon as does Aldi but you have to look for it. Much easier to go to the butcher. Just because the pack has a Union Jack on it doesn’t mean that it’s ok.

8. April 19, 2017 at 9:59 am

Janus: You are terribly fortunate. Every so often I find an aged English cheddar, a Wensleydale, a proper tea or some other epicurean masterpiece. It gives me fleeting hope that the Hun is being dragged, albeit kicking and screaming, into the golden uplands of civilisation. Alas, lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate, it never lasts. The Hun quickly returns to the filth and squalor of yore.

9. April 19, 2017 at 10:10 am

When I was working I used to carry my own teabags, the stuff on the continent was a variable feast to say the least. Teabags were one thing, but milk was another.

10. April 19, 2017 at 10:19 am

Jazz: When I have the misfortune of having to go to the landmass south of Canada that shan’t be named out of respect for polite company, I make a point of taking milk with me from Luxembourg or Hunsrück. The tea, of course, will invariably be from the UK or Ireland. Continentals simply don’t “do” tea. Even when tea is available it’s obvious, with few exceptions, that they’re coffee-drinkers.

11. April 19, 2017 at 11:23 am

jazz, the supermarket is not Aldi or Lidl, it is a respected Danish chain whose quality is ‘up there’.
    Do you imagine ‘foreign’ buyers accept low quality when they buy from Britain?

12. April 19, 2017 at 11:28 am

Bacon has to be Dry cured to be any good, in my opinion. Under current regs, bacon can have added water: of up to 25 per cent. Most bacon contains added water, which is introduced during the curing process when the meat is injected with, or immersed in, brine. Currently, uncooked bacon only has to be labelled when its water content exceeds 10 per cent. So bacon said to contain “not more than 15 per cent added water can legally contain up to 25 per cent.

13. Four-eyed English Genius
    April 19, 2017 at 11:40 am

Agree with Mr Leck re. bacon.

It seems to me, that unless Mistress Maybe cocks up the coming election, the EU will soon have no say in what happens in UK waters. This does mean, however, that she may have to order a few more rowing boats for the Navy, as her treacherous predecessors have all but emasculated it.

April 19, 2017 at 11:52 am

Wow! Does that mean Her Maj can reassert her claim to the French throne? She could dispute France’s Salic Law (retrospectively) on the grounds it discriminated against women…

What a load of nonsense… British Waters, British Fish, British Fishermen.

A company here has decided to sell Australian made “British bacon and sausages” – near enough – but not good enough!

As for my very favourite pork product – Gammon – just forget trying to get it here in Oz. I had the most amazing row with a butcher in Sydney who tried to tell me that Pickled Pork was Gammon. South Australia is the only place that knows about Gammon because of its German heritage.

Some years ago, we found an Ozzie company that knew how to make soft cheese. I usually wait until it goes ‘on offer’ before buying it. Then, and only then, is it truly in a condition to eat!

15. April 19, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Janus: I thought you meant that I could buy bacon at a supermarket. Not that you did.

16. April 19, 2017 at 2:37 pm

OK, ‘local’ was a bit ambiguous, sorry.

April 19, 2017 at 4:11 pm

American bacon is pretty disgusting. However we have an artisan outfit that cures their own locally. Excellent and they actually make collar, never to be seen in the USA, they call it European style bacon. actually it really is rather good. If you want to pay for it. We do.
    An awful lot of small organic outfits have sprung up in WA over the years producing good food, cheeses etc.They do tend to be rather good but well outside of the pockets of most people.
    Of course the fish is to die for here, the salmon and oysters are superb.

Re British waters. I can remember in my ill spent yoof seeing Milford harbour so full you could walk from one side to the other over the boats. They had to leave and arrive in a certain order so that they could unload at the fish dock and pack in like sardines. If they got back early they had to stand off in the roads until their turn. Now there are about 4/5 trawlers left. Says it all, Most of the processing houses are gone or turned into fancy flats, and the harbour is full of pleasure boats. Bloody says it all.
    Hopefully we will get our waters back. But I wouldn’t hold my breath!

No decent tea in the USA or Canada. But there are English shops where such goodies can be purchased. We went to one last week over the border on the way to Vancouver and had to pay $15.00 for 80 Yorkshire Tea bags. Totally fucking outrageous, but what do you do?
    Equally try getting a decent fresh cup of coffee in the UK! Very few places have any quality beans.

18. April 19, 2017 at 5:03 pm

CO: There are quite a few lovely coffee shops in England. I’ve found the coffee there better than in Germany.

19. April 20, 2017 at 6:53 am

Meanwhile back in coastal waters……. 🙂

20. April 20, 2017 at 8:27 am

Yes, it has wandered around a bit, hasn’t it? 🙂

21. April 20, 2017 at 9:07 am

Year 9 is always a challenge. Keeping them focussed (my preferred spelling) means avoiding their favourite topics! 🙂

22. April 20, 2017 at 9:59 am

Oh bodge. Well, better to surrender my laissez-passer than face exclusion.

23. April 20, 2017 at 11:42 am

Which reminds me: how long has the Chariot been active now? Nine years or wha’?

24. April 20, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Janus: Nearly nine years, methinks. MyT was launched about 10 years ago and was actually a brilliant site for the first 6 months, but after about a year many started to surrender hope and migrated to the Chariot.

25. April 20, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I remember the whole sad saga of MyT, including a surreal connection to a Kentucky (?) IT firm.

26. April 20, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Haven’t attempted to look at MyT for years now, does it still exist, does the Roo still roam unchained, I wonder?

27. April 20, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Janus: It was an Oklahoma IT firm, I think.

JL:MyT no longer exists. The Faux Frog of Orléans, rumour has it, made reoccurring appearances until the bitter end.

28. April 20, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Oh yes, Oklahoma. I said at the time the farmer and the cowboy should be friends. Can’t recall why though! 🤓