Home > Chips on Shoulders, Creativity, History, Politics, Techo stuff > The pound in your pocket

The pound in your pocket

new-pound

Harold Wilson never had to deal with this. In his day it was a piece of paper (not plastic). And will some nerd tell me who this particular J.C. is, please?

1. October 31, 2016 at 7:57 am

Jody Clark. He’s a youngish-chap who won an anonymously-submitted portrait of Her Majesty. I still prefer Mary Gillick’s portrait. Naturally, this is the only one of the five portraits to no longer circulate. The £1 coin is a return to tradition, not an innovation. After all, the half-sovereign was worth 10/- and the sovereign £1. After standardisation, the Guinea was worth 21/- which I’m sure you’ve never seen in circulation, though perhaps Backside has!

2. October 31, 2016 at 9:19 am

Hm. Guineas. Fowl, pigs, horse races and the bane of school arithmetic classes. E.g. Convert 622 guineas to £s and shillings. (Yes, really!)

3. October 31, 2016 at 11:31 am

£31 2/-

4. October 31, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Drat! It would help if I could read correctly! £653 2/ 0d

5. October 31, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Correct! We’ll practice fractions of pounds another day….. 😎

Oh alright. What is 3/5 of £3 in £sd?

That’s just a warmer-upper.

Now what is 13/15 of £235?

November 2, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I gather the pound is being replaced because the current is too easy to forge. I was surprised to hear they think 20% are forgeries. Wouldn’t have thought it worth it as they are worth so little nowadays. Wonder what it costs to make a forged 1 pound coin?

November 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm

When I was handed my first new fiver in change, the assistant told me cheerfully that these have already been counterfeited.

November 2, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Oh get on! The Canadians introduced plastic notes several years ago, they are a bugger to separate. Quite dreadful. Thank god for the greenback!

9. November 2, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I might be tempted to use bitcoins if I could begin to understand what they are.

10. November 2, 2016 at 10:38 pm

CO: Australia and New Zealand also use polymer notes. They only stick together when they’re extremely new. US banknotes are no better. I have had many issues with these ghastly things! I even prefer euro notes. Not that I like them, but they at least don’t stick together as much.

11. November 3, 2016 at 8:37 am

I’ve had a couple of plastic fivers and no problem. Mind you, I’m not in the habit of carrying wads of cash.

12. November 3, 2016 at 9:53 am

Yes, Jazz, Mrs J and I are virtually cashless.