Whatever happened to……

Hollywood? As usual I avoided watching the luvvies’ love-in known as the Academy Awards but couldn’t quite miss the agonised reports by the meeja experts.

This year the LA glitterati seemed to be determined to dress badly, speak badly and in most ways to ape their political contemporaries. No glamour, less charisma and even less talent.

Is this all the result of home screens taking over from cinemas? Do the best actors/actresses make tv series now? Is Hollywood as we know it a fading memory?

1. March 1, 2016 at 9:48 am

You could be right, Janus. I used to go to the “pictures” regularly. Nowadays unless it’s a big Sci/Fi-Marvel production (much better to watch them on the big screen than DVD) I rarely visit the cinema.
    Some of the US TV shows, before they jump the shark, are exciting and entertaining.

2. March 1, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Where is everyone?

3. March 1, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hollywood has been fading for some time now. In the past 10 years they’ve relied increasingly on remakes of foreign and/or classic films. They’ve had their technical excellence to rely on but little else. Even in the USA people no longer really take it seriously and Hollywood has relied increasingly on markets such as China and Indonesia to maintain their revenues.

4. March 1, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I can’t imagine that Daniel Craig would have turned down another Bond film twenty years ago. In those days Hollywood (including its UK mates) had no real competition.

5. March 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm

At the same time, Janus, 20 years ago the industry wasn’t this terribly predictable and banal.

March 1, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Blimey J, You actually watched it? God knows how you could stomach it!
    We watched a couple of DVDs of Vera, much more jolly, ahem!
    (UKs answer to Wallender?)

7. March 1, 2016 at 7:10 pm

It wasn’t even remotely on my radar. I rarely watch television at all but it would have to be something more meaningful to tempt me.

8. March 1, 2016 at 7:19 pm

No, CO, I didn’t watch it at all. Never do! Saw some news coverage and pics. 😱

March 2, 2016 at 7:18 am

Thank heavens for that!

10. March 2, 2016 at 8:32 am

Digital technology has changed everything, big studios and production facilities are no longer necessary to make quality programs. The exception being the big cgi productions Harry Potter, The Hobbit and Game of Thrones for example, not that I’m a big fan of any of these, they’re just elaborate junk.
    As for Luvvie award ceremonies like the Oscars…..beyond the pale.

March 4, 2016 at 10:41 pm

But this “elaborate junk” can earn the UK a lot since our special effects boys are the tops.

12. March 5, 2016 at 7:21 am

Shona, Don’t get me wrong. I’m more than happy for the ‘elaborate junk’ to be made and to earn us money as long as I don’t have to watch it.

13. March 5, 2016 at 7:25 am