Bags

Brit stores are charging 5p per plastic bag. Big deal.

People are too lazy to change their habits – not just in GB. They’ll try to nick a basket (until it’s tagged).

Over here in DK, the bags are min. 25p! And people still buy them! So what is the solution? Biodegradable bags maybe?

PS we keep a couple of strong cardboard boxes in the car and take them into the store. Easypeasy.

1. October 14, 2015 at 11:49 am

Biodegradable bags work very well.

October 14, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I do not buy into the argument that stores charging for bags are doing so “To Save The Planet” – they are doing it to boost their profits and for no other reason.

They tried it here and customer resistance has forced most stores to reinstate free bags. If I spend money in a shop I expect to be provided with a bag to protect and carry the goods I have bought. I do not expect to have to carry bags (or boxes) around with me on the off-chance that I might go into a shop and buy a dress / fabric / book or a few items of groceries.

OK – it might be reasonable to charge for more than one or two bags on a large grocery shop, but not for the odd item or two.

3. October 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm

But surely the attempt by Gov not to add to the plastic islands that sail around the oceans is sensible?

4. October 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm

January, I heard someone complaining about the cost of these bags and refusing to buy them. Instead she will take her own……..er……. That’s the idea innit?

5. October 14, 2015 at 6:22 pm

And please edit January to Janus…… Grrrr autocorrect

6. October 14, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Gaz, no matter what (or when?)
    you call me, I agree…. 😎

7. October 14, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Plastic bags are awful and the fewer the better. They pollute the oceans, the countryside and the beaches. I always use a several those splendid green cotton bags from Waitrose and they are always in the car when I go to the supermarket. I have a thin small one which fold into a zipped carry case which I carry in my handbag for smaller purchases when I’m in town.

I don’t mind paying occasionally if I need to, but I’d buy the re-usable ones rather than the thin 5p variety.