Home > General > So who’s your “only” one?

So who’s your “only” one?

I’ve just seen an advert for a rerun of a Rebus episode tomorrow night with, it said, either John Hannah or Ken Stott. For me Ken Stott is Rebus and that’s that.  Similarly Sean Connery is the only James Bond for me, and Ioan Gruffud is the only Hornblower (sorry, Gregory Peck). To go even farther back in my viewing I consider Rupert Davies as my only Maigret with Ewen Solon as Lucas.  Apologies to Michael Gambon, but there it is.

Do other Charioteers have their “only” actors to play certain roles?

1. June 6, 2015 at 12:11 am

Alec Guiness was definitely George Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (and the other Smiley books ).

Poor old Gary Oldman didn’t get close in the film version.

2. June 6, 2015 at 1:50 am

Ocean’s Eleven — only the original cast will do. In the same manner, the only film about Pearl Harbour that I will recognise is “From Here to Eternity”. It doesn’t get better than Montgomery Clift and Frank Sinatra.

3. June 6, 2015 at 7:21 am

Alan Alda as Hawkeye, not Donald Sutherland. Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, not the young pretenders.

June 6, 2015 at 9:45 am

And don’t get me started on The Forsyte Saga! Eric Porter as Soames and Nyree Dawn Porter as Irene. The more recent version with Gina McKee as Irene ought at least to have provided the actress with a wig of the correct colour.

5. June 6, 2015 at 10:03 am

Ooh, Nyree Dawn! What a hottie! 😝

6. June 6, 2015 at 11:11 am

David Suchet IS Hercule, n’est-ce pas? 😀

7. Four-eyed English Genius
    June 6, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Arnie as Quaid in Total Recall!

8. June 6, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Elementary, Jeremy Brett as Holmes and Edward Hardwicke as the other guy, nobody else comes close.

June 6, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I completely agree, jazz and janus and LW. I don’t know Total Recall, FEEG, sorry.

June 7, 2015 at 1:47 am

I know the versions I like best but I’m damned if I can remember the actor’s names!
    Never could remember actors or musicians names, just not important I guess. Now mountains are a different matter…….

11. June 7, 2015 at 8:12 am

Just recalled that Bernard Hepton was brilliant as Toby Esterhase. You can get the DVDs of Tinker Tailor and Smiley’s People from Amazon for about £7 …money well spent.
    The other really great TV series is Jewel in the Crown possibly the best ever made ( by ITV ).

June 7, 2015 at 10:19 am

I’ve just read that 76 year old Ian McKellen is to be the next Sherlock Holmes, LW.

You’re right about Bernard Hepton too, jazz, and Ian Richardson too. The film just didn’t compare in any way.

13. Four-eyed English Genius
    June 7, 2015 at 11:09 am

Patrick Troughton as Dr Who.

14. June 10, 2015 at 11:08 am

My favourites are all in the above comments, so I will just say nowt, except I am glad that Errol Flynn, Patrick Troughton and Sean Connery got a mention.

June 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

What about Sir Christopher Lee, whose death at the age of 93 was announced earlier today, for his roles as Dracula and, by association, Peter Cushing as Van Helsing.