Home > General > Over and over and over again

Over and over and over again

“That which is repeated has been, otherwise it could not be repeated, but the very fact that it has been makes the repetition into something new,” Kierkegaard

I am positive that this is the first time Kierkegaard has been quoted on The Chariot. It’s always good to bring something new to the table.

An article in The Atlantic was detailing why we watch the same films and shows over again. The essay was so good I read it twice. There are a lot of good points made. Returning to past experiences with the familiar are comforting. Settling down to watch the same old, same old is habitual. Yet I came away feeling as if there was something missing. Something new was needed to fire the energy within. I vowed there and then to never watch the same thing again. Or read the same book again. Or listen to the same music again. No more repeats for me.

• So there goes the Star Wars marathon that has been years in the planning. That day where we intended to watch the six films one after the other has been blown to smithereens- Alderaan style.
  • Also meeting its Waterloo is the re-reading of half of War and Peace. That’s how far I usually get with the Tolstoy. A bit farther than most but no more shall I bend its pages.
  • I will never listen again to Pink Floyd’s Echoes so that’s saved twenty five minutes of my life.
  • No more bullet points.

That’s me changed my outlook. From now on everything will be fresh, pure, original.

1. September 12, 2014 at 11:33 am

Could you repeat that, please?

2. September 12, 2014 at 11:35 am

Certainly.

An article………………….

3. September 12, 2014 at 11:44 am

‘That which is repeated has been, otherwise it could not be repeated, but the very fact that it has been …’ Click. ‘That which is repeated has been, otherwise it could not be repeated, but the very fact that it has been …’ Click. ‘That which is repeated has been, otherwise it could not be repeated, but the very fact that it has been …’ Click. …

Er, what?

4. September 12, 2014 at 11:48 am

It’s just like a wonky TV, Bravo. Give it a thump on the head.

5. September 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Ah, thanks for that, TR, remedy applied and after consulting my copy of The Essential Kierkegaard, I now understand that he was supporting Liebnitz except that he is saying that repetition is the same as recollection except in the opposite direction.

Therefore, you don’t have to give up the pleasures of re-watching, re-listening or re-reading, just start each movement at the opposite end each time…

September 12, 2014 at 1:38 pm

It’s obviously too late at night for me to follow this – I’ll try again in the morning…

… or should I avoid re-reading this?

7. September 12, 2014 at 2:59 pm

JW, I’m not one to contradict but I once posted on said SK’s campaign against hypocrisy and quoted the title of his book, ‘Either….Or’. It was before I lost access to my old archive though.

Your watchword will now be: I’ll say zis only vonce….. 🙂

September 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I would have thought common sense would dictate that this it total bullshit. Neither the original statement or the article appear to recommend not repeating actions merely pointing out their comfort zone appeal.
    If people did not repeat actions you would be hard put to put food on the table.
    How would you like it if farmers decided not to grow a crop this year as they had done it before?
    Or I don’t think I’ll fish this year as I did it last year.

Sounds like the usual airy fairy nonsense of the trustafarians!
    Bugger philosophy, it butters no parsnips!
    If you have time to waste like this I suggest you volunteer to go and dig some poor old sod’s garden, much better for you in both body and soul!

And then go back and repeat it.

9. September 12, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Groundhog Day . . .

September 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm

But according to Kierkegaard repetition makes it something new, so there’s no reason not to watch Star Wars again, TR.

11. September 12, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Well played, Sheona, for deciphering the Kierkegaard for me. Trouble is, and Christina will hit me with a spade when she hears this, I’ve seen Star Wars that many times I could act the cephalopod Dianoga’s part! What I am going to do is start War and Peace from page 500 and play my Led Zeppelin records backwards.

September 12, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Watch it boyo if they take you for a cephalopod you will end up frites with tartare sauce!!!

Joking apart it is the repetition that makes things interesting, I always grow the same veg, mainly the same varieties. But it is an endless source of amazement how other non controllable factors affect them.
    Every year I conduct botanical experiments, same seed differing conditions/soils etc etc. to see what happens. This year I found out that planting out onion starts early into a manured raised bed (which obviously gave them a longer growing season in richer soil) actually increased their yield to such a point that they doubled in size. Over a lb per onion was commonplace. Too large and heavy to plait as I usually do.

I do think you have to be terribly into something to appreciate such minutiae but it keeps one off the streets!

13. September 12, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Roll me over, roll me over, roll me over in the clover and do it again.

14. September 13, 2014 at 7:41 am

Christina, “Bugger philosophy, it butters no parsnips!” would have delighted our old mentor, Socrates. He used to say something very similar to the sophists, his Athenian antagonists, who used flawed logic to defend their disingenuous ideas. You’d have liked him! 🙂

September 13, 2014 at 8:11 am

janus, If there is anything that delights me it is a mixed metaphor, bit like the pick and mix of olden days Woollies! Maybe Socrates had similar tastes!!!

16. September 13, 2014 at 8:40 am

CO; he was a vegetarian by inclination. One of the great metaphors or maybe allegories, of course, was Plato’s Cave. All about what is ‘real’ and what is imaginary. Worth reading sometime! 🙂

17. September 13, 2014 at 8:54 am

Janus: you horrible, horrible man! You are almost sparking an interest on my part in ancient Greek texts! I really should study the (Western) classics more.

18. September 13, 2014 at 10:29 am

Christopher, there’s a lot of Zen in them there Greeks!

And if you wonder about things, old Socs is your man! 🙂

19. September 13, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Janus: my mum has often told me simply to shut up and stop analysing every bloody thing.

September 13, 2014 at 4:13 pm

janus, tell me more about Plato’s cave and where I may read it.

Got to go, spinning in the next county today, talk about again and again. Now there truly is a zen occupation! Who needs tranquilisers when they know how to spin?

21. September 13, 2014 at 6:23 pm

CO, I am impressed to hear that you are a spinner.

22. September 13, 2014 at 8:08 pm

CO, the Cave story is part of the Republic described here.

And here’s the story: