Home > General > September Photo Challenge – Then and Now

September Photo Challenge – Then and Now

I’ve been casting about for a subject and finally came up with something while roaming the archive.

“Then and Now” is the topic.  Two photos of the same subject separated in time (the longer the better).

For example here is the Severn Princess, part of the Beachley-Aust ferry service over the Severn taken about 1962, the bridge in the background (first Severn crossing) opened in 1967 and is clearly a long way from collecting its first toll..

Princess s

Here’s the poor old Severn Princess in 2012  abandoned in the shade of the approach to Brunel’s chain suspension bridge over the River Wye at Chepstow originally completed in 1852.   Brunel’s elegant bridge was also a victim of modernization, demolished the same year as the first photo was taken (1962) and replaced with the ugly trestle to the right.

Princess 1 s

Nice if the pictures tell a story (two bridges, one boat) and it can be self evident from the scene, narrative is not essential.

Judging will primarily be done on the more recent of the two pictures and there is one other concession,  the older picture does not have to be taken by the person posting.  If you have an old picture of grandad on his first motorbike you are free to pair it with a recent shot of him racing around the aisles at Sainsbury’s on his mobility scooter if you so wish.

Closing September 30 Midnight EDT.  Good Luck.

1. September 4, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Nice challenge! 🙂

2. September 4, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Market Square and Town Hall, Henley on Thames.

3. September 4, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Arrears, that’s ace! 🙂

4. September 4, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thank you, Janus. 🙂

It was a pity I didn’t take the recent photo from quite the same place, but it does show the difference quite well, I thought.

5. Bilby
    September 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Excellent, Araminta! 🙂

6. September 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Ta, Bilby.

September 4, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Hasn’t changed much has it?

September 4, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Thinking about this it is a total no go. Too many husbands, addresses and continents over time. I have absolutely nothing from earlier than ten years ago except passport and birth certificates etc. Travel light in this life. Good thing I have a good memory for pictures!

9. September 4, 2014 at 11:30 pm

But Henley is a bit like that, Tina. It’s been pedestrianised but that’s about all. The view from the river is still pretty much the same as it was too.

10. September 5, 2014 at 9:15 am

It’s a little difficult for me this month as temporarily living in Toulouse, with no memories here.
    However I just happen to be popping over to the town of my birth next week, to see my Mum and Dad….hm…maybe

11. Pseu
    September 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

This was then – Spring 1995.

and this is now (ish) June 2014

12. September 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Nym, did that ‘normous tree grow so big in 20 years or wha’?

13. Bilby
    September 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Super ‘Then and Now’, Nym. Your garden ‘Now’ is lovely. Lots of hard work, no doubt.

14. Pseu
    September 6, 2014 at 9:05 pm

We moved in nearly 21 years ago and I think the cherry was planted shortly after the first photo… and gives an amazing spring display each year… pale pink blossoms. Yes, Bilby, lots of hard work .

15. Soutie
    September 7, 2014 at 5:43 am

One from me

16. September 7, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hahahaha! 🙂

17. Pseu
    September 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Nice one Soutie!

18. September 16, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Well, as I said above it would be a little difficult. I had intended to take a picture of the Nag’s Head in Nuneaton (my birth town) which has an interesting history, but when I got there it had been demolished leaving only a sad old car park in it’s place. I decided that it was not worthy of a then and now.
    Second idea was the Nueaton Market Place 🙂

This is the Market Place in 1904.

And Now.

Sorry that the perspective isn’t quite the same.

19. September 16, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Gaz, my Mum was also born in Nuneaton, one of five children; her Dad worked down Coton pit. My sister and I visited an aunt in her 13-row terrace and we’re treated to a spoonful of butter and sugar (rationed of course). The street was eventually demolished like yours.

Nice pics. 🙂

20. September 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm

haha, that explains your terrible sense of humour….:-)

My Mum was born in Chancery Lane in Chapel End. Dad was evacuated to Nuneaton from the cliffs in Lowestoft as a boy.
    I have a huge family still in Nuneaton. One Aunt had 13 children most of my cousins now grandparents still in Nuneaton. I lived there until 38 and have never stopped moving around Europe since.
    The Nag’s Head was a pub ‘famous’ in Nuneaton for it’s Showaddywaddy evenings. My old street is still there. Arlon Avenue 🙂
    Maybe I should do a blog on the Nag’s head as I went to so much trouble last week.

21. September 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Old joke: 1st prize one week in Nuneaton, 2nd prize two weeks.

22. September 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm