Resolved

It’s best to keep new year’s resolutions to oneself. That way, breaking them inspires least hilarity or contempt in others. Backside’s irritating irony would always be too much for me. But for all that, I can reveal I am resolved to kill the gadfly which my other head too often allows me to employ at others’ expense. I will brave his efforts to persuade me to harness a new one whenever I feel the urge. So! That’s done. And yes, I feel better already and hope that you, friends, will let us know how you intend to conduct yourselves in 2017. Or have you resolved to tell nobody?

1. December 28, 2016 at 8:52 am

I make no resolutions. I see no point in making meaningless promises to myself, or anyone else for that matter, for the sake of standing on ceremony.

December 28, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I have just made a resolution, which I have no objection to sharing with fellow Charioteers. It’s been occasioned by a brochure that’s just appeared through the letter box offering various courses, run by people whose qualifications I have never come across before. There’s Mindfulness, which would probably not help me to remember that I went into the shop to get a bag of sugar, not a packet of butter. Mindful Self-compassion – does anyone need help to feel self-pitying? And of course there’s the Tripudio. No, I’d never heard of it either. All of these are designed, as husband pointed out, to transfer at least £99 from one’s bank account to their’s. So my resolution is to laugh heartily at all these odd offerings and keep the cash in the bank. Laughter is, it is said, the best medicine.

December 28, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Nah, don’t bother J! Waste of time!! what would we do without the acidulous contributions? Anodyne response from you and we would think you on your deathbed!

Like Christopher I don’t bother either.

Maybe I’ll grow a few less veg, too many carrots! Or resolve to give more away to the bloody food bank.

Sheona has one ever heard such balderdash? Now there are a few worthy candidates for enforced gardening if ever I heard of them. Mindfulness with a shovel.

4. December 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm

G’day Janus & Backside –

I still read every word posted on the Chariot, but seldom write comments these days, as you will have noticed. But this resolution of yours (pl) cries out for a response –

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

Have a good one ! 🙂

5. December 29, 2016 at 8:05 am

G’day, Bearsy! Is that foreign for bolleaux?

December 29, 2016 at 10:47 am

I don’t make NYRs anymore. I make more than enough mistakes to castigate myself with without non-fulfilled resolutions.

Tell BS to ‘Carry on as Normal’ or, like Christina, I’ll be sending the medics out to make sure you’re not on your deathbed!

7. December 29, 2016 at 12:00 pm

What can I say – without BS hearing?! It’s more than friendly of you to recognise my occasional dilemma! 🤓