Home > Cricket > Return of the Amir

Return of the Amir

This Thursday England lock horns with Pakistan in the first test at Lord’s. In the tourists side will be the fast bowler, Mohammad Amir. Now aged 24, Amir was found guilty of spot-fixing on his last appearance at the home of cricket, six years ago. He was banned from cricket for five years and served three months in prison. Debate still rages on at all levels of the cricket community over whether Amir should still be allowed to play.

I take Morgan Freeman’s side on this. These are his words from The Shawshank Redemption when he faced the parole board.

There’s not a day goes by I don’t feel regret. Not because I’m in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I wanna talk to him. I wanna try to talk some sense to him — tell him the way things are. But I can’t. That kid’s long gone and this old man is all that’s left. I gotta live with that.

July 13, 2016 at 7:21 am

No, no, no! Amir is a convicted criminal and (un)sporting cheat and should never be allowed to make money from the game ever again. It just isn’t cricket, so to speak.

Likewise drug-addled athletes and rapey footballers. I have one question for those who say the latter should be allowed back once their sentence is served. Would you allow a paedophile teacher back into the classroom? No, I thought not.

2. July 13, 2016 at 9:02 am

Sorry, JW, I agree with my fellow Portugal-domiciled wolf, convicted is convicted. Bjarne Riis the doping cyclist is still training teams, Contador is still riding. It’s wrong.

3. July 13, 2016 at 9:25 am

Aye weel, gentlemen. There’s a well-worn catchphrase uttered on the banks of the Clyde by a “famous” journalist. “We’ll just have to agree to disagree”.

4. July 13, 2016 at 9:36 am

To borrow a line from the film “The Edukators”, “Manche Menschen ändern sich nie” or “Some people never change” for the less Hunnishly inclined. No matter what he does he will never be trusted again. If there is ever even the faintest whiff of a scandal he will immediately be scrutinised, whether or not he actually was involved with it or not.

5. July 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Haw JW. I’m with you. No sympathy for Salman Butt or Asif but, unlike them, Amir did plead guilty and was very young at the time.

I will always believe in rehabilitation and possible redemption when we are talking systems of justice. In this case, I believe that he is entitled to a second chance. No mercy, of course, if he blows that chance.

What about the Unmentionables? They really rocked Gibraltar last night, did they not? Nice one, Brendan!

6. July 13, 2016 at 4:23 pm

But but…Rory says he could easily cheat the golf doping rules. I interpret that to mean there are others who probably do. I’m afraid that in big money sport too many think the only crime is getting found out. That’s why I’m against their ‘rehabilitation’. A couple of years’ quarantine is nowt when they can teturn to the money-go-round.

7. July 13, 2016 at 4:42 pm

8. July 13, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Aye weel, Janus

I am, to be fair, a complicated sort of guy and probably often wrong. My personal moral compass does not equate doping use with other transgressions. Drug use in sport for enhanced performance will, in my opinion, always be utterly unforgivable.

I am prepared to look at the facts in other cases and I still believe that Amir deserves another chance.

9. July 13, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Boris Effing Johnson?

She can not be serious.

On the other hand, she is my new Leader. It follows that she has my unconditional and utterly loyal support.

Nonetheless,

Boris Effing Johnson?

10. July 14, 2016 at 2:49 am

Strewth, JM !

Strikes me that BoJo’s new appointment is a pre-negotiated consolation prize for not standing against Teresa after that Gove bloke white-anted him. And a brilliant appointment too – he’ll either terrify or charm those pesky furriners. Not quite in the same league as our bonza Julie, but he’ll do.

His middle name is spelt Pfeffel, not Effing, by the way, and without him London would be a congealed mess and Brexit would have lost. In my (not so) humble opinion, that is.

So there! 🙂

11. July 14, 2016 at 2:55 am

Back on thread – this Amir bloke should never be allowed on a cricket oval ever again. Yes, he’s served his time and he was young, but what he did was not cricket. He’s lucky that nobody has removed his balls. A thoroughly bad lot who should hide his head in shame; give him a burqa or a hoodie.

Not that I have any strong feelings about the matter . . . 🙂

July 14, 2016 at 9:01 am

Jazz – “He’s been punished and that’s it. If he offends again then the punishment will reflect that; however I bet he remains squeaky clean from now on.”

If he offends again, which is quite likely given his proven proclivity to cheat, it will not alter the fact that some liberal, wussy social worker will have decreed the convicted criminal to have been “rehabilitated” and should be allowed to return to the scene of the crime.

And would you allow your granddaughter to go out with This, or This, or even This? In the latter case the woolly opinions of the defence-team-appointed psychiatrist were pretty comprehensively rubbished.

Look, I’m not suggesting that offenders should never be allowed back into mainstream society, but they should not be allowed near the temptations that led them to crime in the first place, which would be like Nick Leeson being given another derivatives book to manage, for example. If Pistorius wants to work with underprivileged children after his release, so be it, but only after his release. To paraphrase the judge, community service is not an alternative to jail time.

As for rapey footballers and the like, there is nothing to stop them getting an honest job commensurate with their other abilities, (burger flipper, shelf stacker, hod-carrier, etc.,) once the sentence is completed, but no longer as a £2.6 million pa so-called ‘role model’. The other upside is that if they were on £150 per week instead of £150,000, they would be unlikely to attract the sort of vulnerable, starry-eyed s’leb chasers who are the real victims.

13. July 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

Oz, The rules are the rules you can’t be punished twice for the same offence only time will tell if he’s learned his lesson.

The granddaughter thing (hypothetical in my case) isn’t really relevant.

If the offence had been sexual he’d be on a register.

14. July 14, 2016 at 10:48 am

Good luck to Amir for the future. Though, of course, I hope he has a stinker of a series against “us”.
    Game on. Pakistan to bat.

15. July 15, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Hi Bearsy.

I am now totally on board, BoJo-wise.

Any appointment that can drive the Guardanistas that wild has got to be inspired.

I revelled as I listened to Michael White, Assistant Editor Grauniad, venting his spleen at a level of venting which has not been heard since Krakatoa (West of Java) blew its top.

An inspired selection by my new Leader, in my revised opinion.

Mind, I still think she’s wrong about Michael Gove. I hope he returns.

I also think that you are being too harsh on Amir but we may just have to agree to differ on him.

Moving on, I signed up for Premier World Sport yesterday so that I could watch the Heart of Midlothian crushing the mighty Birkirkara of Malta 0-0. Imagine my joy when I discovered that I could also watch the final State of Origin game?

Recorded it as it was on at 4am in proper time and have just watched it. Really thought ‘we’ were going to have a clean sweep. I blame myself. I’ve always been a bit of a Jonah for the teams I choose to support.

PS. You Aussies are utterly rubbish at pronouncing the word ‘Maroon’.

16. July 15, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Afternoon JM, Yasir’s on fire. Won’t say any more in case you’re taping it.

Football: Great to see the Plebs beaten and the serial water-bottle blooterer sent to the stands but still not as good as the result from Gibraltar. Mon the Imps.

Back later.

17. July 15, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hi JW. Watching it live with the odd flick over to the Open. Leg spin forever!