Did you know that in every world cup except the first (obviously) the winning nation had to defeat the holders en route?
Two big games for our northern hemisphere members tomorrow, while you’re waiting for kick off here’s a bit of the fun stuff that we’ve been discussing and questioning of late, there’s one or two fascinating titbits here;
- Name the capital of New Zealand, the one before the current one and the one before that? Wellington, Aukland, Russel – Cuprum
- Who is the only sportsman ever to represent his country in both the cricket and rugby world cups?- Rudi van Vuren Namibia – Cuprum
- These flags all represent nations who have participated in rugby world cups, any ideas?
Fiji, Zim., Samoa, Ivory coast – solved by Cuprum
- Who is the only player to represent 2 different nations at rugby world cups ) – Frank Bunce W.Samoa (1991) NZ (1995) – Cuprum
- 5 drop goals were scored by the same player in a single RWC match, who by, against who and when? Jannie de Beer, England, France (1999) – Cuprum
- How many points were scored by South Africans in the ’95 RWC final? All of them (27) – Cuprum
- We all know that it’s the Webb Ellis trophy, have players with the surnames Webb and Ellis ever played a RWC match on opposing sides? If so, for which countries, where and when? Japan v NZ, Hamilton, 16/09 – see comment 24
- Which 50 over ODI has just been rescheduled because it clashes with a RWC game? S.A. v Australia, 23/10 – see comment 23
- One of Wales or Ireland will progress to the semis tomorrow, is it uncharted territory or have either ever reached a semi-final before, if so when and against whom? – Wales 8-NZ 49, (1987 ) – Low Wattage
- And finally some more flags from participants
Namibia, Tonga, Georgia, Uruguay – solved by OZ
Finished already ?
That wasn’t too difficult was it ?