Home > General > Good piece on the Spectator Coffee House blog site.

Good piece on the Spectator Coffee House blog site.

Francis Maude on reforming the civil service so that it can deal with Brexit. At least that’s what the title says. In fact it is a fairly far reaching analysis of flaws in the system that many of us have already suspected.

1. September 15, 2017 at 2:04 pm

I would read it, Jazz, but they want me to buy a sub first! Sorry. 😦

2. September 15, 2017 at 2:59 pm

There is a ‘hack’ as the parlance is these days. Click on the article, you then have a few seconds to Copy All (Ctrl A) and then Copy, (Ctrl C). You can then Paste (Ctrl V) the article into a Word document to read at your leeejure.

3. September 15, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Aha!

4. cuprum426
    September 25, 2017 at 9:24 am

A really interesting article (Janus – I was able to read it without cut and paste – once I declined the subscription request the article remained to view)
    I especially enjoyed the quote from Jonathon Powell about civil servant culture:

“The system is stacked against civil servants who might want to get things done. There is very little upside gain for an official who succeeds in resolving a problem and a huge downside risk for permitting something to go wrong”

As a civil servant all my working life, I frequently laugh at proposals for projects and pilots that are ‘doomed to success’. Failure simply isn’t an option.

Even though I voted to remain, I sadly suspect Brexit will be doomed to look pretty much what it looks like before the referendum, any other option simply can’t happen as the machine of the state won’t allow it. More of the same……

5. September 25, 2017 at 9:36 am

Except that the UK will not be paying through the proverbial nose for unelected gubmint and Continental arrogance as offered by the EU.

6. September 25, 2017 at 9:42 am

Cuprum: The most honest, or least dishonest if your prefer, politicians are those who promise little. Governments of the left and the right might intend to accomplish things, but they’re thwarted by the realities of bureaucracy, precedent and procedure.

I would argue that an independent Britain won’t look like it did as part of the EU, but it won’t enjoy a clean break, either. There is much room for flexibility and legal innovation in the EEA, but certain gods must first be appeased. No freedom of movement, but work permits for certain industries would be easy to come by. Contributions reduced, but not done away with entirely. Legal sovereignty, but legislation will often mimic the diktats of Berlaymont. Give six, gain a dozen, etc.