Home > General > Political Correctness.

Political Correctness.

I wonder if the rise in political correctness is linked to the fact that we are living further and further away from nature. In times past when folk lived by the seasons and off the land (no out of season strawberries at Tesco) there wasn’t room for such nonsense.

Of course they had religion to contend with, but that’s not quite the same thing.

1. September 3, 2017 at 12:57 pm

You’re on to something. In my not-so-humble opinion, PC-riddled societies are generally those that are generations removed from truly serious challenges. Sweden, Canada and Australia haven’t needed to worry too much about most things since 1945. Russia, China and Poland — where political correctness is as popular as a bad case of syphilis — have in living memory had to grapple with serious, existential threats.Similar things apply to Mexico and Bolivia. Those who live in more rural regions and are less PC are those who are still close enough to the realities of nature and life that they have no time, patience or energy for asinine theories that are the intellectual equivalent of debating how many post-modernist digital angels can dance on the head of an iPin. I would have said if angels can defecate or not — as was the wont of late-mediaeval scholars — but that would have at least served the purpose of crude humour at the local pub after a few pints.

2. September 3, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Yes, I could go along with that, Jazz. Perhaps it is time for another world war. If you are right, it would solve many problems, such as sifting out the PC monkeys, help with the financial crisis, hopefully debunk AGW once and for all, help with overpopulation and encourage the snowflake generation to grow up (the ones that survive, that is)
    I am sure there are other benefits.

3. Four-eyed English Genius
    September 3, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Not sure about the back to nature stuff but Christopher and Gaz are right. Maybe six months of a Jeremy Carbonyl government would force some common sense back into the UK and get rid of PC once and for all, probably via some violence.

4. September 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Gaz. Another world war is a little extreme God knows what the outcome would be. It would probably while out the PC monkeys and everyone else.

Feeg. I didn’t mean back to nature I meant closer to nature.

5. cogitationator
    September 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I agree. Nowadays most of us in the “developed” world have it far too easy. If we had to spend more of our time on just plain surviving, there’d be less to waste on such silliness.

6. September 4, 2017 at 6:18 am

Jazz, what happened at 6.54 pm yesterday? 😉

7. September 4, 2017 at 7:30 am

…..meanwhile the most ridiculous PC idea to date gets John Lewis abandoning the words ‘boy’ and ‘girl’ for their clothing labels. Call me old-fashioned but the world I live in recognises two kinds of kids, boys and girls. Oh, sorry. Some mothers want their boys to be girls and vice versa, storing up trouble for their young victims in later life. Pathetic.

8. September 4, 2017 at 7:55 am

For politicians to get into positions of power, they need to divide society. That is the purpose of political correctness. Where there is no real physical threat or division, one has to be created, using differences in religions, culture and lang

As Herman Goring was quoted as saying in the interviews in the Neuremberg diaries:

Why, of course, the people don’t want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

We never learn.

9. September 4, 2017 at 7:58 am

I don’t know where the end of “language” went 🙂

10. September 4, 2017 at 8:02 am

Janus. Reports in the DM and elsewhere that John Lewis customers are rebelling against gender neutral labeling.

At 6.54pm yesterday I corrected typos in my comment using the computer. I had made the original on a little Samsung tablet which has a smaller keyboard and for some reason shows no edit option.
    IOW just another small skirmish with technology.

11. September 4, 2017 at 8:06 am

My old Dad said many times when in his late eighties, “I don’t understand this world anyone. Perhaps it’s time to call it a day.”
    Perhaps PC is nature’s way of preparing us to meet our maker.

12. September 4, 2017 at 8:07 am

James. Goring was right although the internet is a bit of a game changer.

13. September 4, 2017 at 9:09 am

On a different tack, religion was for centuries the PC of western societies. Clerics invented rules which they claim derived from ‘holy scripture’ – whose complexity conveniently allowed any interpretation they sought to enforce. It is arguable that they delayed the emancipation and enfranchisement of women and controlled education for far too long.

14. September 4, 2017 at 9:10 am

Jazz, I agree that the internet has changed the game but I’m not quite sure whether it’s changed it for the better or worse. While it does make it easier to communicate across the globe, the ability to post behind a mask of anonymity has also made it simpler to be ever more extreme and aggressive without any comeback, as we all remember from Roo. There is also a whole business of setting up large professional teams that constantly pump out “pro” or “ante” messages across the social media networks in order to make it appear that one side or the other has a much larger following than it really does. Jury is still out on the eventual outcome I think.

15. September 4, 2017 at 9:53 am

Janus: Quite. Cross the religious powers that be and one could well end up destroyed. We’ve at least advanced to the point that people are only figuratively burnt at the stake. Back then, people were literally! The nan on occasion mentions growing up Catholic in 1930s-1940s Germany and how much authority priests had in her small town. Even in the 1950s no on challenged the word of men and penguins of the cloth. Let’s not even start about what happened in Ireland until the early 1990s! It is telling that Ireland’s rejection of its former status quo is almost as thorough as that of the formerly socialist states of eastern Europe.

16. September 4, 2017 at 11:33 am

Alan, just to be clear, I wasn’t advocating another world war. It is just that I have no other idea how these things could be solved. Most of the comments on here are aimed at explaining where we are, not how to solve it.

17. September 4, 2017 at 11:46 am

gaz, I’m afraid I can’t see the human race finding a solution. The population explosion, the global greed network and the failure of democracy all point to disaster. Sorry.

18. September 4, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Janus. I have to agree. It isn’t looking good.

September 4, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Cog: my mother (born 1921) always said that she was far too busy worrying about earning a living to have time to go on demonstrations. And I have to say I was far too busy to join any of the 60s marches – and had very little sympathy with those who did!

I often ask how is it that so many people in the West can congregate on the streets mid-week and cause chaos to those who are trying to earn a living, and think they have the right to damage public (or private) property – the repair of which comes out of my, and other taxpayers’, pockets. They, clearly, have nothing better to do with their time. It is, perhaps, time that they had to meet the cost of their actions… and were given something useful to do with their time.

As far as I’m concerned, the world has gone crazy with insisting on ‘rights’ without retaining the link to ‘responsibilities’. It’s gone totally overboard in insisting that the views of minority groups should be accommodated at the expense of the majority – and more importantly, as Janus says, to the detriment of downright, plain common sense…

My grandfather (Mum’s Dad) was, apparently quite an orator, and was paid to speak at Hyde Park Corner in the 1920s. Mum knew how easy it was to sway public opinion. My father (born 1916) worked for the Daily Mail from the time he was 14. He bought all the national newspapers home. I was about ten, when I asked him why the stories in the various papers seemed to be so different – he taught me about media manipulation… and my school taught me to find the facts behind the stories before believing one word of what was reported in the press. Very few people seem to do that now.

The real problem is that PC sounds so enlightened, so amazingly caring, and so inclusive… until one realises that most people who embrace PC are “Thought Nazis” who believe that they, and they alone, know what is right for Society – and are not prepared to listen to any contrary opinions.

I see that there have been a couple of comments since I stared writing this – I agree with both of them.

20. September 4, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Janus: I’m convinced we as a species will continue to muddle along. Birth rates are falling in most countries and almost half are below replacement rate. Those countries with tremendous birth rates are also those with very high infant mortality and an average life expectancy that’s well below average.

We’ve seen two Axial Ages. We’ve seen many more eras when one civilisation declines as another rises. Now, we’re in a reverse Axial Age when the world as a whole is crumbling. In the modern world we have a growing population of people who are so useless that their ability to breathe truly astounds. In the third world, people are so backwards that it’s a wonder they’ve moved beyond clubbing the odd mastodon. Reality can be suspended and deferred, but it cannot be denied forever. Society decline to the point that people are going to be stirred to action. The problem is that we’re not there yet because things are generally pleasant enough to ignore the barbarians at the gate and the plaster crumbling from the ceiling.

September 4, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Christopher: I love your optimism – because that’s exactly how I feel!

22. September 4, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Boadicea: I’ve seen a lot of things change in the past couple years. People are having enough. Even most people who are centre-left and left-of-centre are getting fed up with the excesses of their side. The media and social media give far, far too much time and attention to the crudest and most vulgar among us. Want attention? Want to become famous for a few days? Be as beastly as possible. Some of the teenagers I work with give me hope. They’re much smarter than the cretins in their 20s!

23. September 4, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Well let’s hope those smart teenagers don’t get corrupted by the system. If I were to give advice to any young person it would be ‘ don’t believe anything you are told by anyone incl. Particularly the media. Take it all under advisement until you’ve satisfied yourself on the facts.

24. September 4, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Jazz:Most younger people are actually fine. Within a few years of going to work, they’ve started to lose most of their strange ideas. A decade of working does more to make someone realistic than virtually anything else. Göbbels’ infamous “quote” is generally cut in half. A lie told often and differently enough might be accepted as the truth, but it will eventually crumble as its inherent contradictions can’t be denied forever. This goes back to Machiavelli who quite clearly stated that the best-laid plants can blow up and the chances are that schemes will eventually backfire.