Home > General > Every Picture etc….

Every Picture etc….

I accidentally bought a cheese scone. Surprisingly, or not, it went very well with jam, blackcurrant, strawberry, raspberry …etc. Having repeated the mistake a couple of times I can confirm the result. Have even converted Mrs J.

BTW tea, coffee and buns for two in Waitrose costs about *£5.80 as opposed to twice that amount in the local Costa or other cafes. To some extent this makes up for the fact that they’ve ramped up the price of unsalted butter from one pound, or less, to anything from £1-20 to £1-70 for French ‘President Beurre’. Just as well we buy ours at Aldi where it’s still 85p.

*If you have a Waitrose Card

waitrose-scone

1. October 20, 2016 at 9:49 am

Yes cheese and fruit can make a good combo. I prefer soft varieties like raspberries with sharp cheese like extra mature cheddar or ripe stilton.

2. October 20, 2016 at 11:42 am

I sometimes make gnocchi with pear and Gorgonzola. In Sweden people eat cheese and marmalade.

3. October 20, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I like Blackcurrant on a cheese scone, discovered this by accident too because one day it was all they had.

Janus do they have Stilton and Cheddar in Denmark, or do you import it ?

4. October 20, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Decent cheddar is widely available but down here in the boondocks Stilton is but a dream! I’m sure it’s on sale in Copenhagen though.

5. October 20, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Janus: I have no problem finding Stilton in Hellerup.

6. Four-eyed English Genius
    October 20, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Never tried this combination, but mature cheddar and fruitcake are yummy together! 🙂

7. October 20, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Hellerup is the wealth capital of DK! Like Gentofte, it’s name is whispered out of respect (or sommat). 😎

8. October 20, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Janus: Viking-type chum lives in Hellerup, the less expensive part of it, anyway! He’s still amazed after nearly three years that he can afford to live there.

October 21, 2016 at 7:25 am

I had to do the tappy-tappy thng to learn about Hellerup and was mightily impressed to find it was the home of the Tuborg breweries.

Oop t’North of England it is/was customary to eat Christmas cake with a slab of Lancashire cheese and when I were nobbut a budding predator in the international markets there was a bar in central Liverpool where one could lunch from a pint pot filled with boiled prawns on the hoof followed by a hot Eccles cake with a melting lump of ripe Stilton on top. Heaven!

10. October 21, 2016 at 7:33 am

Now you’re talkin’, OZ! My kinda ploughman’s!

11. October 21, 2016 at 10:58 am

Oh and btw, in Exeter there used to be a wine and cheese bar in an old corner pub. Fab grub! I took daughter no. 3 there while she was at the local uni. Anybody know it?

12. October 21, 2016 at 11:07 am

A friend, who’s father was a ploughman, tells me that the ploughman’s lunch is an invention and that real ploughman just took a crust of bread, an apple and a bottle of cold tea.

October 22, 2016 at 6:02 pm

5.80 for what is on the table? God almighty! What A RIP OFF!
    And not even in a china cup? Gor blimey!
    Not on my dime!!

Never have found an acceptable cheese scone recipe, they always seem to dry out rather quickly, whatever combination of cheeses one uses. So that one is strictly off the repertoire.

14. October 22, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Christina, £5.80 buys you twice what is shown in the picture.

15. October 23, 2016 at 8:23 am

In DK you’d be lucky to get the coffee for a fiver!

16. October 23, 2016 at 9:54 am

I recall on my first night stop in Copenhagen buying a beer at the hotel bar. The barman seeing the look on my face when he told me the price said “Welcome to Denmark”.