Home > General > I think this says something. Not sure what though.

I think this says something. Not sure what though.

Dropping Mrs J off for in Wallingford her quilting class I looked across the road and saw the scene below. Had to take a picture of it on my little Nokia because it says something although I have no idea what.

photo0304

1. September 13, 2016 at 5:41 pm

At half-time it’s Methodists 2, Baptists 1.

September 13, 2016 at 5:54 pm

It says to me that wrinklies can ignore yellow lines and park wherever they jolly well please. And quite right too. Snowflakes can wait to assume such an attitude when they too have done their time, not when they’re fourteen and ‘precious’.

Where’s the ‘harrumph’ button?

3. September 14, 2016 at 12:19 am

Very good Janus!

4. September 14, 2016 at 9:37 am

I recall a line from a film where Methodists were characterised as ‘Baptists who can read’.

5. September 14, 2016 at 5:42 pm

My grandfather was born in 1878, son of a devout Methodist family. Passions ran high. He used to say, ‘Damn the Baptists!’ In jest of course. 😏

September 15, 2016 at 7:15 pm

One side of my family were strict Victorian Methodists up to the early second half of the twentieth century whereas the other were always ‘amateur’ or lapsed Anglicans. It was whispered by the latter half that the Methodists did not drink alcohol unless it was somebody else’s, especially at Christmas for some reason and especially when the Methodists visited the Anglicans.

September 17, 2016 at 4:57 pm

If the wrinklies are at the jumble sale then they are too poor to go to the shops?

As far as Methodists go and non drinking. Most of my best customers at my Welsh Inn were elders of the local Methodist church, oops.

8. September 18, 2016 at 8:50 am

‘Taking the pledge’ was dropped after WWII. In fact a Methodist minister I knew enjoyed a pint at the local. (But probably not in Wales.)