Home > General > Dog Wash

Dog Wash

Whilst walking back from a friends’s house after a discussion on routers and a possible modification to the scarphing jig I came across the mobile dog wash. Ollie was not with me but as you can see from the picture below he’s encountered the dog wash before and was not impressed.

(I have posted this pic previously)

Ollie Dogwash 1

He’s due for a wash so I asked the lady in charge how much it would cost to shampoo a long haired collie. “£28.50 and we use only natural products and essential oils”.

Tough shit Ollie it’s the garden hose and Tesco shampoo again.

1. July 21, 2016 at 11:55 am

Bloody absurd. You’re right to do it yourself.

2. July 21, 2016 at 12:13 pm

There are people who regard their dogs as humans (anthropomorphising ?). They’re not, they’re animals, which is the whole point and makes them good companions. I hate to see them dressed up in silly coats, neckerchiefs etc.
    One accepts that certain thin coated breeds may need some protection but most dogs don’t.

3. July 21, 2016 at 12:19 pm

The term “essential oils” should have been banned from advertising decades ago, as in that 60s TV ad for soap, or was it hair shampoo, the one that cooed “…contains 21 (?) essential oils”. “Essential” in the context of oils means “pertaining to essences”, needless to say, i.e. distilled fragrances etc, and is nothing whatsoever to do with the body’s requirements, especially when applied topically to hair or skin.

4. July 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Colin, you win pedant of the week! I akshully use the same expression when wxcusing myself from twice-daily showers. ‘It’s me sential oils….’ 😋

5. July 21, 2016 at 1:03 pm

That is very expensive for just a wash and dry. I don’t pay much more than that for a wash dry and clip.

I don’t like to see dogs dressed up either. Abby has a collar, lead and harness, although she is wearing a sort of body tube at the moment made from the leg of an old pair of leggings. This is purely to stop her licking and scratching her operation wounds. She doesn’t like it but she prefers it to the cone. She was spayed on Monday.

6. July 21, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Nice to see you, Arrers! 😎

7. July 21, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Hi Janus. I’m still around. 🙂

July 21, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Now hang on jazz, just because you don’t think dogs are human doesn’t mean to say they aren’t!
    Ask the dog!
    We have a small person who just knows she is human but just happens to be in a furry four legged format.
    Madam just knows she is entitled to all things that humans have, eat and do. Try telling her otherwise.
    Of course she has a winter coat, I do, so she does. In fact all three line up for their camouflage coats before depredating the river banks. They like dressing up, especially the terrierorists.
    They like to have their collars put on decorated with the order of the golden bone, (name tags to you) Awarded for harassing visitors at the community gardens that they know they own. They particularly like to sit on visitors on the sofa in a dog pile, tremendous fun!
    Canine religious observance is conducted on the front porch with obligatory barking at every passerby on foot or in car for which bones are awarded. Akin to the Muzzling call!!
    Baths, what are baths? They don’t aspire to those! Only when having rolled in the unmentionable!!

That price is roughly what grooming parlours charge here, $40. We have always washed them ourselves so I wouldn’t know if that is expensive or not. Madam would not allow a hair dryer near her, she wouldn’t like the ‘set’!
    What is all this about hoses? What is wrong with your bath tub? Then a nice rub with their own towels and off they go again.

9. July 21, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Mix up some soapy water in a jug, decant liberally over animal avoiding head and eyes. Use hands to work up a good lather. Then wash off with hose. We have hot and cold taps outside so can heat things up a bit in the winter. Quick dry with an old towel and that’s it, job done.
    Christina I don’t know what dogs you have, but long haired collies have quite sophisticated coats which keep them warm and dry, they’re also pretty hardy.

10. July 21, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Watch your ankles, Jazz! They’re Jack Russels! 🐩

July 21, 2016 at 7:34 pm

They are very well behaved for Jack Russels, they don’t bite, just lick you to death! One has a very thin silky coat, she needs a winter coat, the other is thick and hairy (just like most men!)
    According to the girls here, she is a VERY GOOD DOG and the boys are VERY VERY BAD. She says so most clearly with a little twitch and a bustle of self importance as she goes, always out front, gets them into trouble and then retreats with a grin of self satisfaction., most amusing.

12. July 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm

“Pedant of the week”? For pointing out the ambiguity of the adjective “essential” in connection with external body applications, whether for humans or pets – at a hefty cost?

Pedantry: “Excessive concern with minor details and rules.”

One man’s “excessive concern” is another’s pointing out of misleading use of language, especially when intended to mislead, especially when intended to justify excessive overcharging, it being anyone’s guess as to the prevalence of such misunderstanding among consumers at large, pet owners included.

Spurious and unjustified charges of “pedantry” instantly levelled against another site commenter are in this blogger’s experience usually a front for something else (vanity, self-preening etc).

Yuk.

Goodbye.

13. July 22, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Poor Colin! 😎

14. July 22, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Is there an emoticon for signalling quiet contempt for the totally inept attempt we see here to squat on someone else’s site in order to impose class superiority of the uniquely English variety (“right” school,” right” university etc ?

Nope, probably not.

Pathetic. Totally pathetic, redolent of the Jeeves era (1930s).

Goodbye (once again) will have to suffice.

Poor Janus.

July 22, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Oh for heavens sakes!
    Colin, you totally misunderstand, pedant of the week is an honourable win! Janus generally awards it to himself!
    Get over it and don’t read in to it something that just isn’t there.
    After all, you can’t be head xenophobe or chief racist. I have those awards in perpetuity so you’ll just have to make do with pedant for just a week unless you can win it again!

16. July 22, 2016 at 4:02 pm

With respect, CO, there’s nothing to get over. There’s everything to get over (as you might appreciate if you still lived in the UK’s subtly elitist class controlled, class -obsessed society).

Brexit may signal a long-overdue change. One can but hope.

Goodbye.

17. July 22, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hi, CB.

Aye weel. i live in Scotland’s overtly non-elitist, egalitarian society where we should all feel free to insult the English on every possible occasion. They are, allegedly, not a patch on us. At least, that’s where the SNP cult assures me that I live.

Pure keech, of course. I live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland where we share, in my opinion. the rare skill of being able to poke fun at each other without feeling the need to take ourselves any too seriously.

Did you know that, if you try to type ‘ourself’, instead of ‘ourselves’, you get the dreaded red spelling error line? This is also utter keech since the Monarch must have had to employ that usage ‘many a time and oft’. She can, as we all know, do no wrong. I cite Sir Robert Morton’s submissions in ‘The Winslow Boy’.

Moving on, the aforementioned skill manifests itself to an advanced level in the Chariot, in my opinion

CO has the truth of it for me this time Janus is no more, and no less, a pedant than anyone else still standing on this site. It’s a matter of pride to me that I can stand shoulder to shoulder (facing the same or opposite direction) with Janus, Spartacus-like, and shout out ‘I am a pedant’.

It’s a matter of joy to me that I can sometimes be smote ‘hip and thigh’ (Judges 15:8) by others of my fellow pedants hereon. It keeps me on my toes, even if I can’t actually bear too much weight on my smitten h&t at the time.

I am absolutely certain that Janus intended to accolade you.

Please don’t go!

July 22, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Nice citation JM!
    Take a golden bone!

19. July 22, 2016 at 6:06 pm

No offence meant indeed, JM. Sorry, CB, if you interpreted me otherwise.
    ‘Essential’ is of course a shifting quality, from its claaical origins to its modern usage, which is a synonym for necessary or sometimes natural. I haven’t consulted google yet, so I may me subject to a pedantic rebuff here. 😎

20. July 22, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Hogwash! I’ve no time for pendants either. Gimme a plain chain any day.

21. July 24, 2016 at 7:28 am

Bling! It’s a knockout! 😎

22. July 24, 2016 at 7:59 am

JM, Scotland’s non elitist and egalitarian society is a myth. The Scots are by far more class conscious and elitist than the English they’re just more hypocritical about it.