Home > General > Australian Style Points System

Australian Style Points System

I’m sick of hearing the phrase “Australian Style Points System”. Whilst I’m sure it’s better than our current chaos, hearing the words repeated time and again does become wearing.

But there is something about a  points system that hasn’t been mentioned (or at least I haven’t heard it) and that is awarding negative points. I presume that under ‘Australian Rules’ that the more points you get, the more likely you are to be allowed entry and the points are based on how much value you may have to the receiving country i.e. age, wealth, skills etc etc.

What about awarding minus points for prospective immigrants from poor countries that can ill afford to lose  skills.

Predating upon poor countries for their skilled and young doesn’t seem very ethical to me.

1. June 11, 2016 at 8:47 pm

How about Australian rules football?

2. June 11, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I barely comprehend British Football so Australian Rules Football is well beyond my understanding. Spent a fews hours and drank a few beers in Leagues Clubs in Melbourne, Sydney and Newcastle (NSW) though….seem to recall they had a lot of slot machines.

3. June 12, 2016 at 7:10 am

Jazz, ‘What about awarding minus points for prospective immigrants from poor countries that can ill afford to lose skills?’

That sounds judgmental to me. The issue is whether the UK should allow immigrants to enter, not to assess the fortunes of their countries of origin. Are you really going to tell a skilled engineer, doctor, plumber (!) to stay at home because they need his (unappreciated) skills?

I’ll leave it to our Aussie hosts to comment on the points issue.

4. June 12, 2016 at 7:33 am

You think it’s OK to deprive poor countries of badly needed skills, I don’t. Nothing judgemental, it’s simple ethics.
    This country is wealthy enough to train the people that it needs.

5. June 12, 2016 at 7:45 am

Jazz, no! We are not forcing immigrants to leave home or depriving any country of owt! Ethics is about what we are responsible for!

6. June 12, 2016 at 8:07 am

Well I’ve googled ‘ethics’ and I think it was the correct word.
    We expect and hope that poor countries will advance so it makes no sense to deprive them of the people that can help them do that, whilst we cannot stop them emigrating, we shouldn’t encourage it.

7. June 12, 2016 at 8:09 am

I haven’t checked on our points system for many years, but they used to change regularly, with the result that many well-qualified men were initially turned down, but they and their family later admitted because the wife was a qualified hairdresser – of which there was a great shortage at that time. No, really, I kid you not.

Equally interesting was the earlier requirement (during the “White Australia” days) to pass an interview which included a dictation session to prove one’s language capabilities. Trouble was, the interviewer could choose what language to dictate in. If he didn’t like the applicant, he’d probably choose Welsh, or Cornish – or possibly Klingon. Straight up!!

June 12, 2016 at 10:30 am

While walking round Taormina yesterday we noticed a sub-Saharan lad with a glaikit expression wandering round looking completely lost. He later accosted us and husband’s statement that we were pensioners who couldn’t afford to give money away was obviously not understood. I’m sure that if I had attempted the same explanation in Italian, the response would have been the same. A brain surgeon manque? Or someone who has no skills to offer a European society? I suppose I ought to have felt sorry for the lad who had probably been rescued from a rubber dinghy, registered and then turned loose in Sicily until some bureaucrat decided what to do with him. He obviously didn’t know what to do with himself.

June 12, 2016 at 11:02 am

I take your point Jazz, however your might be interested to know that we, in Oz, also lose those we have trained to other countries. However, the ability to ‘hop’ overseas after borrowing money to train is about to be curtailed… just as Governments are trying (so they say) to tackle multi-national tax-avoiders so, too, are they making agreements to make ex-students pay back their loans. There is certainly such an agreement between Oz and NZ, and I think, the UK is about to join up to the said scheme.

10. June 12, 2016 at 11:02 am

Sheona: for avoidance of doubt, it’s “siamo pensionati e non abbiamo soldi per scialacquare”.

11. June 12, 2016 at 11:10 am

Que? Show off! 😎

12. June 12, 2016 at 11:12 am

13. June 12, 2016 at 11:19 am

J: “Che” in Italian. It’s not the civilised Gallic “que” or barbaric Hispanic “qué”.

14. June 12, 2016 at 6:02 pm

janus…No, Jazz, telling expatriots to go home to benefit their homelands is holy, if not stupid!…”

I was thinking more about them not coming in the first place. Isn’t that how a points system works…..you award points prior to arrival ?