Home > General > Kind Regards

Kind Regards

A lot of business letters and emails are signed off with’Kind regards’. WTF is this ??!

What about ‘Unkind regards’ ?

1. Deborah
    June 10, 2016 at 12:11 pm

My ‘boss’ (a technicality, really, as we are virtually equal in seniority) signs off his emails with “Regards”.
    Neither kind, nor unkind.
    What should I make of this?

June 10, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I don’t think you’d get an answer if you signed your letter “Unkind Regards”!

3. June 10, 2016 at 1:36 pm

If I did that I wouldn’t want one.

In emails I increasingly don’t use a salutation or a sign off. IMHO the email format renders both redundant.

4. June 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Ver pragmatic. What was wrong with courtesy?

5. June 10, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Your W** abbreviation suggests you don’t go for courtesy. 😷

6. June 10, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hmm… You could always write “with hostile indignation”.

7. June 10, 2016 at 7:49 pm

“…..Your W** abbreviation suggests you don’t go for courtesy…”

Not unnecessary courtesy. Why would you say kind regards ? What other kind are there ?

And, Christopher I guess that all indignation is hostile. What about ‘Indignantly yours’….has a certain ring to it.

June 10, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Dear Cherished Colleague,

Writing as one who still punctuates emails and never, ever, abbreviates txt msgs, I refuse to lower my standards for the benefit of the hard of understanding, the great unwashed and other polloi.

Having said that, the shame of once forgetting the verb ending for a Latin gerund on this august forum will haunt me forever. Sob!

Yours sincerely,

June 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

i find I use different salutations etc for differing people.

Really good personal friends, nothing at all and just run a thread constantly back and forth.

Business, but good friends, like my lawyer of 25 years, always ‘Best Wishes’ But sometimes I send him ‘love and kisses’ when the bill is unnaturally small!

Estate agents seem to be into Kind Regards.

People I don’t know, Dear Sir and Yours Sincerely.t.

Then there is them that hath pissed me off mightily. They get.

‘You Sir, have the honour to be my humble and obedient servant’ Especially the rats dept., tax man, MPs and such scum.

PS One wants to watch gerunds, I’ve found them nibbling broccoli and decimating kohl rabi!
    If caught niftily they are very good with strawberry syrup, covers the blood! Just DON’T squash them.

10. June 11, 2016 at 4:21 am

June 11, 2016 at 5:48 am

And from the page prior, “A gerund is a – it is a verbal substantive, molesworth, declined like neuters of the second declension any fule knos that,”

I am so glad it is not just me.

12. June 11, 2016 at 6:47 am

Luckily for us Brits, OZ, our revered lingo is chocker with the little b*ggers! From angling to zigzagging…..

13. June 11, 2016 at 7:21 am

I had a friendly and helpful reply to an email I had sent on spec to an academic recently, having discovered through googling that he and I had a shared interest (cremated bones!). He signed himself off simply with “Cheers”.

Ever alert to changing trends and fashions, I am now abandoning my usual “Kind regards”, especially as I read here it is popular with estate agents, and will forthwith use “Cheers” instead.

Cheers