Home > General > Another day in the life of a Brexiter

Another day in the life of a Brexiter

This morning I generated some postcard sized notices for local shop windows. They were a request for volunteer leafleters. I was surprised at the reaction of the three Indian shopkeepers that I approached, they were strongly pro Brexit. One said “what the hell is going on, the government must be crazy”. The lady in the newsagent said “you can post your notice for free”.

These Indian immigrants understand the value of British sovereignty even if many of the dumb locals do not.

Tomorrow I’m setting up a table outside Thame Town Hall, have built a trailer for carting the paraphernalia from car park  to site so I can operate by myself if necessary. You only need one person because once the thing is set up people come up and talk and almost run the thing for you. Pic of trailer below, post June 23rd it will be de assembled and rebuilt as a platform for some of Mrs J’s larger flower pots.

Photo0246

1. May 27, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Jazz, I think it is a very strong coincidence, because you want intelligent people to vote for Brexit and at the same time you are pleasantly surprised, that there are as well immigrants who share your view. I have read a latest poll yesterday and in there it states that the majority of the immigrants ( more than 60% ) from Islam , indian, chinese, of mixed race communities and/or background will vote remain.
    Nevertheless, I must admit, even though it goes against my whole upbringing and my political values (being german), if I were a fully fledged british citizen I would vote for Brexit as well, because I think that the majority most of the politicians in the UK who support the remain campaign are either incompetent or dishonest to the people. This needs to change and Brexit might be helping to make this change possible. Have a good week-end.

2. May 27, 2016 at 9:10 pm

frauohneeigenschaften

Thank you, I shall report back.

May 27, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Good Luck Jazz!

I’ve told everyone I know that if they don’t vote to leave they might as well not bother to ever vote in a general election again – since it won’t matter which party is elected – all laws will either come from Brussels or be overridden by Brussels.

4. May 27, 2016 at 9:59 pm

FoE: I am sceptical of the polls. Once they found that the results were too tight or in favour of British liberation from the EU, they changed the methodology in order to make it more favourable to the “remain” side. I am tempted to register with the German Embassy in Seoul — if that works out — in order to vote overseas for the next election. For the first time in my life I will support a party other than the CDU. Germany is hated again and Europe is in the worst shape it’s been in since the end of the War. This can’t stand.

Jazz: Many immigrants, especially from South Asia, own shops and other small businesses. The EU is hurting them badly. The only people who actually like the EU are failed politicians, banksters and huge multinational businesses.

5. May 28, 2016 at 12:00 am

Whether the EU stands or falls turns on how much pain the Southern States can stand, and how much of their debt the Germans can cover. I have a strong feeling that this will not end well.

6. May 28, 2016 at 12:33 am

Jazz: southern Italy is at the bring of collapse. Greece is at the brink of collapse. Spain is a disaster zone. The only reason why support for the EU hasn’t collapsed here is that the Spanish government is even more useless and parasitic than the EU — as hard as that is to believe. Germany, for its part, is increasingly showing the economic strains associated with its ageing population and de facto demographic collapse. Merkel has let the country’s infrastructure crumble in order to make it appear that Germany was being fiscally prudent. In time, that will cost even more to repair than it would have to maintain. Germany is only 5-10 years away from its own calamities and it cannot underwrite the debts of other countries, nor will German voters tolerate inflation eroding their savings.

7. May 28, 2016 at 7:10 am

Slightly off-piste, but after how many generations resident in a new country do immigrants become ‘locals’? Your description of ‘Indians’ seems to imply recent arrival. If they are not, why is it relevant to refer to their ethnic past?

8. May 28, 2016 at 7:46 am

Janus, Don’t be silly.

9. May 28, 2016 at 10:22 am

Really, Jazz? It is a serious question.

May 28, 2016 at 12:09 pm

As a serious answer, Janus, immigrants become ‘locals’ when they identify with the culture in which they are living. There is, however, nothing wrong with them (or anyone else) also identifying themselves / them with the country from which their ancestors came.

Here, for example, there are fifth generation Irish immigrants who are Ozzies and also proud of their Irish heritage, the same applies to those of other ethnic groups. I’m ‘identified’ as English every time I open my mouth! But I’m also seen as Australian.

I read a magnificent quote from an “East Ender” last week. He said he could no longer live with the high level of immigrants in the East End, but nonetheless, he was very proud of his East End background …

… and his Bangladeshi heritage.

He’s British…

May 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Hope it goes well for you tomorrow, Jazz.

May 28, 2016 at 6:29 pm

I am acquainted with various wogs in Brum who are totally British. The noticeable unifier is that they either dodge questions on religion or come down firmly as having none. None of them seem to go to the mosque anymore! Interesting.
    This is true of both brown and black.
    There are a significant group of blacks who are fiercely evangelical Christian in the Midlands, nearly all from the Caribbean. Mostly they bang on about the immorality of society. (They mean the whites but are a bit too polite to say so!)

Most of them qualify as British and they hate immigrants!

13. May 29, 2016 at 6:52 am

So there it is! Qualification for being local: hating immigrants!

14. May 29, 2016 at 7:43 am

Janus, You’re being silly again.

May 29, 2016 at 8:44 am

Janus, it may well be a qualification for being English. A 15th Century visitor from Venice noted how much the English hated foreigners!

16. May 29, 2016 at 9:30 am

Jazz, oh dear. And I thought it might be construed as witty.😎

17. May 29, 2016 at 9:48 am

Boadicea: in pre-revolutionary France a man sent by the king to draw an accurate map was bludgeoned to death by locals who were convinced that any news from Paris was bad news.

18. May 29, 2016 at 3:21 pm

‘Twas ever thus. 😷

May 29, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Janus, I don’t quite know why you think that humanity should be any different. We are atavistic, tribal and suspicious. For most of human development we lived in small bands of 25-30 people, generally related and apart from each other groups except to trade females, even they worked out quite early that incest breeds idiocy.
    Why, when we lived like that for millions of years should it all change in the blink of an eye in so called modern times?
    Even the things that appear to drive modern humanity, greed, violence, power, sex are all well documented in the history of the last 7000 years, nothing much changes.
    Why on earth should the rule book be torn up in the .work of a moment?
    Never going to happen and I suspect never will, I don’t actually think it is within our psyche to behave full of love and compassion for humanity , at least not when we are under threat ourselves.
    I suggest that to wish to shower benefices on supplicant peasantry from elsewhere is an indulgence that only those who think they are unassailably on the top of the heap can afford. For them further down the dung heap of society, the scrabble to maintain position and not slip further into the morass is paramount and supplicant strangers are more likely to be seen as a threat. There is only so much ‘pie’ to most people., how many more slices must be cut?

Personally I am extremely glad every time I hear ‘n’ hundred more drowned in the Med, automatic thought
    There’s ‘n’ that won’t be arriving in Brum, good.
    At least I am honest!
    And can never be accused of hypocrisy!

20. May 29, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Christopher, I think you are painting a picture that is too bleak and will certainly not boost any morale, which means Brexit or Remain, the poor british voters find chaos afterwards. Not good.
    Christina, I agree with some of what you are saying, but nevertheless not being a hiprocrite is good, but not being optimistic about some of the things will never get you into any good connection with young people and these count for me mostly, I beleive our generation is not so much affected from all this mess that is currently generated, but we are all lying in the bed, that we made.

21. May 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm

FoE: I work in Spain. I am not a pensioner here. I talk with Spanish co-workers and business owners, Spanish and expatriate, on a regular basis. Many are at the bring of giving up. One woman I know is ready to move back to the UK because doing anything in Spain has become impossible due to the paperwork involved. Many Spaniards are considering emigrating or already have — South America and Mexico are doing well out of this. They get bright, educated young Spaniards that integrate quickly. My uncle was just in southern Italy — he’s confirmed that what the reports say is true. The EU is built on malice and held together by malice. They have to threaten and intimidate voters because they have nothing positive to offer. Europe is dying and the EU is only making it worse. Eventually, something is going to give — it has to. Things in Europe cannot continue as they are. Brexit will force the EU to re-evaluate things.

22. May 29, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Christopher, I do not know yet, who I could vote for to be honest

23. May 29, 2016 at 7:09 pm

The main point for me is this: The EU has only existed since 1992. The euro has only existed in since 1999 and has only circulated since 2002. That is about 24 and 14 years respectively. Yet, in a continent where pharmacies have been in the same building since the 14th century, where people have prayed in the same churches since the 10th century, where people have been buying meat and fish at the same markets for 2000 years we’re supposed to accept that the EU is “Europe”. I can’t help but think of what a favourite writer, Austin Coates, observed in the early 1990s. It’s a pity that the EU is such a dog’s breakfast and that we don’t have proper countries any more. The Americans can only offer instability because the USA is deeply unstable. Yet, our influence is only declining with each self-inflicted wound. What happens when France has a fit with the US? All of Europe is dragged into the mess. What happens when Poland and the Baltic States get chippy with Russia? All Europe is dragged into it. What happens when the Greeks and Italians are unable to patrol their coastlines and Merkel opens her stupid gob? All Europe is dragged into a history-making catastrophe. And where are the solutions? Brussels? What has the EU ever done to make life easier or better that could not have been managed with proper co-ordination? Belgium has re-instated border checks with France, by the way, and Sweden is still refusing entry into its territory without proper documents by land and water.

24. June 1, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I mostly agree with both of you, but nevertheless as humans are evolutionary creatures, they find solutions to their personal private circumstances. After all, Europe and the EU are in a bad spell currently, but nevertheless, I believe that a quantum leap and correction is needed world-wide, life is hard and times not rosy wherever we look. I homestly hope, that the Brits have some clout and use the Referendum to create a small push in the right direction. In the end one can never loose hope, otherwise you could commit suicide now. It is better to carry on fighting, sticking our heads in the sand will not get us any further.