Home > General > I’m not really a steam train buff….but

I’m not really a steam train buff….but

This is really good I’m mightily impressed with the driver, hadn’t realised what a busy place the footplate can be.

1. April 9, 2016 at 7:22 am

Yes, another different world. As I recall, the footplate was usually a very dirty, noisy, windy workplace where the fireman shifted tons of coal with little respite. But small (and some big) boys loved to watch the expresses roar through towns, emerging with an explosion of smoke from tunnels and cuttings. Passengers alighting smelled of smoke and soot – from both first and third class! The first diesels were almost as bad – and much less romantic.

2. April 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

At the California Railway Museum in Sacramento there is an old steam train which visitors can sit in. Some of the gears and levers are missing and it is, of course, no longer functioning but it is possible to see what was involved in operating it.

3. April 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm

What impresses me is that they’re not operating some modern sophisticated digitalised hi tech piece of equipment with all kinds of safety cut outs, but an iron and steel monster encasing several tons of boiling water and superheated steam……not to mention a bloody great fire.

And Christopher, this isn’t some sterile museum exhibit with bits missing.

4. April 9, 2016 at 7:09 pm

At the York Railway Museum they used to show working steam engines. Maybe they still do.

5. April 9, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Christopher, I agree with Jazz a railway museum is sterile and for me a time waste, I wonder if you did the ‘rwal thing’ once like me, when I visited America. From Silverton to Durango and back in a day. This gives the absolute feeling of the past, beautiful. Here is the link, I guess i was one of these people counted, who bought tickets. http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad.com/

6. Four-eyed English Genius
    April 10, 2016 at 12:01 pm

J: Yes, they do. Also at the Shildon extension of the Museum in County Durham.

FoE: Agreed in part, but the museums also give you lots more information as well.

Because the really inefficient parts of the British railways system were closed in the 1960’s by Dr Beeching, there are numerous heritage steam railway lines in the UK taken over and run by volunteers and enthusiasts. We live reasonably close to the Bluebell Line, which was one of the first and great fun to visit.