Home > General > I got bit.

I got bit.

Our little collie bitch as well as  being pretty smart is somewhat excitable. Certain things set her going…vacuum cleaners, coffee grinders, emptying the bins……..or when I drop a ladder to get into one of the lofts. I’m well aware of this and normally take precautions like making sure the dogs are somewhere else. Yesterday however I forgot and was a couple of steps up a ladder when Meg bounded into the room barking frantically and nipped my left calf which although she administered this without malice it gave a nasty wound. Mrs J said “ You’d better take that to the surgery there’ll be someone there who can take a look at it”. I only had to think about that for a second before rejecting the idea. These days there is the possibility that ‘the someone at the surgery at the surgery’ will want chapter and verse on how the wound was acquired and the next thing you know the dog’s life is in jeopardy. Of course this isn’t necessarily the case, there are still a few sensible folk around. But why take the risk ?

Anyway a plentiful application of hydrogen peroxide and a non-stick dressing seems to have done the trick, overnight the cut dried up nicely and I’ve told the animal that next time she’s for the chop.

1. February 13, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Jazz, what a coincidence! My parents had a Collie named Meg.

I hope that your tetanus is up-to-date 🙂

February 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm

You are probably right these days. Some total arsehole would poke their nose in where not required.
    Now then, you could have got creative and said your wife did it in werewolf mode, they would probably have given her a feminist medal!

A tetanus jab sound like a good idea.

3. February 13, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Tetanus jab has been suggested, can’t remember the last one I had, so I rang the surgery surprise, surprise it’s not open on Saturdays. I’ll take my chances we cleaned the cut promptly and tetanus is very rare in the UK.

4. February 13, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Jazz: Yes it is very rare. It is only confined to people who get dog bites and don’t go for a jab. There are not many of those.

(sorry: I just couldn’t resist that 🙂 )

February 13, 2016 at 4:28 pm

More likely to get bitten down Reading High St. these days.
    And with them I’d definitely get a tetanus jab!! How do the rabid manage to stay alive so long?

6. February 13, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I doubt you need a tetanus jab, Jazz, our puppy has drawn blood on occasions – really sharp little needle teeth , but now she’s growing her adult teeth she just mouths rather than bites.

I haven’t had a tetanus jab for years. I’m not fond of needles.

7. February 13, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I don’t mind needles that give me stuff but can’t handle the kind that extract my blood! 😱

8. Four-eyed English Genius
    February 13, 2016 at 7:36 pm

I thought that if you have had five or more tetanus jabs, you are permanently vaccinated anyway.

9. February 13, 2016 at 7:40 pm

FEEG, that was my impression too.

February 13, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Bugge,r who can count to five over a lifetime?

11. Four-eyed English Genius
    February 14, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Christina: Easy if you plat rugby. I have had way more than five jabs.