Home > General > Gloom and Doom

Gloom and Doom

As many of you may have noticed I haven’t been on here for a while. The reason is in the title. I am quick sick of all the moaning and negativity that is around these days. No matter whether it is in blog form, news on TV, articles etc. it seems to be that the current trend is for everyone over a certain age to see only bad things in life.

The glass is half empty for nearly all of you. I do have sympathy for you all, that things seem so bad, but  for goodness sake….wake up.

When I talk to almost anyone over 60 they complain about just about every aspect of our lives. A favourite complaint is how awful it is for the younger people, out of work, no prospects etc. Yet when I talk to younger people in Germany, Spain, France or the UK, I see and hear a very different side. They are optimistic, energetic and looking forward to the future multi-culti society that they have grown up in.

Perhaps it is simply time that the old dinosaurs died out and left things to the younger generation. They certainly seem to have a better handle on things.

1. January 25, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Pls see my reply to you on my prime post. 😊

2. January 25, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Adam and Eve likely whinged about the world going to the dogs because of the next generation. “Of course we weren’t perfect, we even managed to get ourselves expelled from paradise but! this new generation! At least we didn’t kill each other in our time”. You showed your true colours. If you dislike what people say then they can die. I don’t really need to know more about you than that. I’m not sure I really want to.

3. January 25, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Christopher: Have I hit a nerve? If so, I apologise. But you do rather seem to be a “half empty” sort of chap. Try being positive man. It will make you feel a lot better about yourself.

4. January 25, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Although I tend to agree with your premise, Gaz, I have to say that it is exceedingly clumsily expressed, and somewhat patronising.

One of the things I have learnt in my years of blogging is the futility of this way of dealing with the opinion of others.

We are all individuals and have different experiences and this of course colours our views.

Generalising is also somewhat dangerous, I feel, and being deliberately provocative may result in a many comments if that is your aim. But, I’d rather give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I am not a great fan of negativity either, but I do understand that I live in a rather pleasant part of England and I am rather fortunate.

January 25, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Most of us here can afford to live in very pleasant corners of the world. I do not think the negativity is on behalf of ourselves and our own lives, I think most of us are only too glad to be out of it so to speak. But any observation of the world outside is pretty bloody grim by anyone’s reckoning.
    Trying to get anywhere these days, flying is a total endurance test. Get there and get blown up or whatever, food poisoning being the least of ones options.
    Urban living, get stabbed on your own doorstep, Gangs of feral children, graffiti, litter. I see it in Birmingham, quite disgusting.
    Wogs and terrorism running amok on the streets of Europe, wonderful!

The only reason the young accept it is that they do not know any better. Plenty of young people who are fortunate enough to live in uncontaminated parts of the world, such as Carmarthenshire feel just the same as I do. They do not need or want the even tenor of their lives wrecked by the PC mob and emasculated politicians. Unfortunately none of us get to vote on these matters, imposed willy nilly by do gooders.

As for people killing themselves, the more the better of any age, class or colour, the world is grievously overpopulated. I especially like to hear of immigrants drowning off Greece, a pretty firm guarantee they are not going to end up in Birmingham! Frankly, listening to liberals, do gooders, PC wankers, politicians and the so called great and the good would drive any self respecting tottering geriatric to a thankful suicide as an escape from such total utter crapulent shit!

Any putative afterlife could not possibly be any worse than reading the newspapers, 1000 years upside down in a fiery pit looks a positive soft option. Why don’t you try it first and tell us how it goes?

January 25, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I hope you can get treatment, Gazoopi.

7. January 26, 2016 at 2:42 am

Gaz: My view is that the glass is half empty, but the half that is there is positively delicious. I’m a realist with absolutely no time for misplaced optimism or social engineering. Unlike most of you, I do not have the fortune of having a pension or the bulk of my years behind me. I turned 30 in November and am still working in academia. Last Saturday I had a meeting with my boss who informed me that the average student entering tertiary education now has the reading level of a 12-year-old and standards are only declining. I want to be optimistic, but I find it difficult to as the same idiots are only practising their insanity on grander and grander scales.

January 26, 2016 at 4:53 am

Hear hear Sheona!

I am sorely tempted to take this post down – since this is a site for discussions – not for patronising other charioteers.

9. January 26, 2016 at 5:14 am

Nah, be kind to them, Boadicea – they’re only kids.

As one of the dinosaurs who helped invent real-time operating systems when Gazoopi was still in nappies, it’s hard to feel patronised. 🙂

January 26, 2016 at 10:43 am

Thank you, Boadicea. I didn’t actually feel patronised – we Scots are hard to condescend to. (Sorry about that loose preposition at the end there, Bearsy.) I won’t say what I did feel. That would be unkind to the gentleman who either here or on MyT was assuring us all that the events in Cologne on New Year’s Eve were just a small incident such as often happens over the festive season and that the DM and others were blowing it up out of all proportion.

January 26, 2016 at 10:53 am
  12. January 26, 2016 at 11:22 am

Loose preposition eh ? I like it. Nearly typed ‘loose proposition’ which I suppose is something entirely different?

Re. events in Cologne and elsewhere. It continues to amaze me that our politicians have so little respect for our culture and civilisation that they put them at risk. Or maybe they’re so dim that they don’t realise what they’re doing ?

13. Four-eyed English Genius
    January 26, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Equal-volume liquid containment definition is all a matter of context. A glass is half full if you are filling it and half empty if you are drinking from it!!!

14. January 26, 2016 at 3:30 pm

FEEG, nice to see you. The context also includes who’s filling and who’s emptying, eh?

15. January 27, 2016 at 10:37 am

Hi Gaz, I am surprised by all the flak you have taken in response to your post. I do not think it is justified at all and I certainly do not feel patronised by what you said.

Having said that, I turn 60 this year and consider that my life has never been as good as it is now. I suppose that is mostly because I can look back at the experiences that I have had and feel lucky to have had them. At the same time, I am grateful that my life now, while not as exciting as it has sometimes been, is comfortable and appropriate for someone of my age.

I do not worry about the lives of other people not directly connected to me, least of all the young, because I have no idea what their expectations are and whether they are realistic. I do however, firmly believe that people easily adapt to changing circumstances and that 99.9% of people are able to deal with 99.9% of the good and bad that comes their way.

So, I agree with you that we should not worry about the state of the world and I agree that people who broadcast negativity are dull to be with. But then again, I do not really consider the members of this site to be anything other than avatars. I can switch them off or on, pretty much at will. I enjoy that I am free, relatively (so long as certain sensitive souls do not delete my comments,) to express my thoughts without fear of offending people. I may offend people on this site, but I do not fear it nor does it bother me because they are no more real than some arbitrary refugee sneaking his way into Europe. Nothing personal mind. It’s all in the bits. For all I know, I am participating in one of Turing’s tests.

16. January 27, 2016 at 11:11 am

Hmm.

17. January 29, 2016 at 8:27 am

A bit lucky with the stats there, gaz! 🙂

January 29, 2016 at 10:36 am

FAZ – ” Denn noch glänzt nicht alles.” Still a long way to go and no separate statistics for youth unemployment.

19. January 29, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Dear all, I am truly sorry if any of you felt patronised by this blog. I surely didn’t see it that way or intend to offend anyone.
    Christopher: 12 year old what? I assume you mean 12 year old from previous generations, otherwise it doesn’t make any sense.
    Sipu: Thank you for the supporting comments.
    Boadicea: Thank you for not taking the blog down. I did not intend it to be without discussion.