Home > General > War and Peace

War and Peace

‘War and Peace an epic new drama coming to BBC One’ says the trailer on BBC iPlayer.

Not trusting the Beeb I’ll try and read the book first.

This review in Metro doesn’t bode well.

Mrs J has just informed me that we have a copy of W & P in the loft.

“I read half of it”, she said, “it was quite good”.High praise indeed from somebody who has read all the Star Wars books of which there are a lot…..also now in the loft.

January 1, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Sounds ghastly. The original version made by the Russians in 1969 is the only version worth watching. They dressed up 100,000 plus of the Red Army in period costume and had them refight the Napoleonic campaigns, The battle of Borodino is fantastic. The movie is so long one had to go two nights running, it must be about 9/10 hours long. Far better than watching some bunch of actors perform sexual stunts not in the book. I’m sure it must be available for purchase or rent still. All other versions including the Hollywood stuff pales into insignificance.
    Suggest you rent it before you have to watch the crap on the BBC who will mutilate anything these days.
    One understands that the vast majority suffer from attention deficit syndrome these days but if sexing up one of the greatest novels written is the only way to keep them awake one might suggest that they are not exactly Tolstoy’s chosen audience and ought to creep back into the sloughs from whence they came.

Do you remember once upon a time the BBC believed part of its remit was to ‘educate’ the public.
    Now seemingly this has been rendered into ‘pervert’ the public, as if they could be traduced any further!

2. January 1, 2016 at 3:14 pm

To be fair to the novel it might be ‘great’ but it is also a test of patience and determination! If any film version must deliver the same challenges then rhe Russian version scores well. But imho it is fine to adapt literature to the film/tv medium provided the treatment is sympathetic to the aims of the written words. Auntie has done a good job in this endeavour for years.

January 1, 2016 at 6:22 pm

I rather feel they always want to jazz things up a bit too much. They frequently do that with Jane Austen, concentrate too much on the main characters to the detriment of the side plots which basically give the story its charm. This renders it to the neat two hours for the eye swivelling masses.
    Too many people in too much of a hurry these days.

4. January 1, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I’m going to read the book – should keep me going till The Spring.

5. January 1, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Why not, Jazz? It’s a good tale. 📖🍷🍷

6. January 4, 2016 at 5:32 pm

I intend to first watch the BBC version, but then might as well grab the book. Gives us something to talk about anyway. I am definitely interested in your judgement jazz. I will take more time, as I still have three other books in the pipe.Lol

January 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Anybody out there that saw the new BBC version and is familiar with the Bondarchuk Russian version?
    It appears from the press comments that the only people who are truly impressed with the BBC version are those that have never seen the Russian, which was a bit of a cult movie in its time and not widely released outside the arthouse cinemas.
    We are not getting the BBC version anytime soon on PBS and of course they would NEVER show the Russian one I’m sure. Fortunately I own a copy and am busy re running it this week. Forgotten quite how good it is. Of course the Russian State pulled out all the stops on this and the funeral scene of Pierre’s father was filled with the most magnificent icons and relics, they must have raided every museum in Russia to use that lot as props. Quite breathtaking.

8. January 4, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I want to read the book before I watch the series. This could all take some time, still not sure which translation to read.

January 5, 2016 at 2:07 am

jazz, can’t help you on that one. Curiously I don’t have a copy of the book, thought I had but I guess too many moves and I have given so many books away over the years rather than ship them transatlantic.
    Needless to say, one always wants a book’ n’ years later that one no longer has.

10. January 5, 2016 at 4:45 am
  11. January 5, 2016 at 8:57 am

CO, is your film version dubbed into Englishh or subtitled?

January 10, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Sort of both simultaneously and quite a bit of the dialogue is in french and not translated or subtitled!
    It is the Sergei Bondarchuk version.
    I have seen various excerpts of the BBC new job. The battlefield scenes are a total joke. I cannot recommend the Russian version highly enough. God knows why they bothered to remake it. No doubt I shall watch it in due course when it gets here only to take the mick..