Home > General > Araminta’s penguin post.

Araminta’s penguin post.

What’s happened to Araminta’s penguin post ? I can’t recall the actual title, however it caused me to look up the official report on the grounding of the MV Oliva. You can find it here.

An interesting read, although a sad catalogue of incompetence.

1. August 19, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Need to read this, Jazz. Laters…..

2. August 19, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I do ho

3. August 19, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Oops! I do hope we going to play nice here! πŸ˜‡

4. August 19, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I always play nice, Janus πŸ™‚

5. August 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

What

6. August 19, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Sorry, it just posted itself! I blame Windows10!

What I was going to ask, Jazz is why the freighter decided to go even remotely close to Tristan de Cunha. The South Atlantic is not exactly crowded, is it?

7. August 19, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Jazz, can you tell us the connection between the Oliva and Arrers’ penguns?

8. August 19, 2015 at 8:16 pm

They planned to pass ten miles off the land, which is ok with satnav, radar and a good lookout. However it does depend on the vessel being navigated competently. Strange that they were navigating with a plotting sheet rather than a chart. A pointless exercise as a plotting sheet shows no features other than the lat and long scale and a couple of compass roses. When I was at sea we just used them for plotting and working up sights not for on going navigation.

In my day we only had the sextant and chronometer to navigate by much less accurate than satnav even supposing you could rely on getting an sun or star sight (the sky might be obscured). Accordingly we might have taken a larger offing, unless we particularly wanted to make a landfall, in which case we would have arranged to pass in daylight, there don’t appear to be any lighthouses or beacons on these islands.

I’m sure the environment will recover in due course. There is a belief that the clean up operations often cause more damage than the original spill.

9. August 19, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thank you, Jazz. Yes, it was total incompetence judging from the report. It really should never have happened.

I agree about the environment. It tends to recover relatively quickly. Thank goodness it was just carrying soya beans and it was not an oil tanker!

The penguins seemed to clean up quite well though, so I’m pleased they made the effort.

10. August 19, 2015 at 8:29 pm

My story was based on the disaster, Janus, The penguins lived on Nightingale Island, part of the Tristan de Cunha group.

11. August 20, 2015 at 6:38 am

I was afraid you might have nicked them! 😳

12. August 20, 2015 at 8:46 am

Oh, but I did, Janus.

Shamelessly. In fact, I felt so guilty I wrote another entry to the competition. πŸ™‚

13. August 20, 2015 at 9:30 am

If you like horror stories about tankers and pollution here’s a good piece courtesy of the ‘Shetland News’.

14. August 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

Jazz, as a lad I sang about ships in the offing but didn’t lnow what it meant!

15. August 20, 2015 at 10:02 am

I think the term offing is more often used with reference to a view of the sea from the shore.
    Seamen being in the main uneducated used it the other way around. We also used to talk about distance offs is that some kind of extended noun ?

16. August 20, 2015 at 10:11 am

Definitely! 😊

17. August 20, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Come on ! there must be a proper term for it. Maybe Araminta will know ?

August 20, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for some more interesting facts about tankers and their weaknesses – and dodgy owners.

19. August 20, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Jazz, really! It is an extended noun, used un D Mail headlines: Grusome murder trial lawyer’s story’.

20. August 20, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Any fule kno about poetic ships, offing-wise.

Definitely all at sea from the point of view of the observer.

In my opinion.

21. August 20, 2015 at 5:25 pm

JM, kind of you to expand on my 9.51 am above…. 😊

22. August 20, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Good evening, Janus.

‘Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.’

Smiley thing.

23. August 20, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Bald? Not us, buddie! Unconvincing? It’s not unusual…. πŸ˜’

24. August 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm

OFFING , the distance that a ship at sea keeps away from the land because of navigational dangers, fog, or other hazards. The term is generally, though not necessarily, understood to mean that the ship remains in waters too deep for anchoring. To keep or to make, a good offing, to lay a course which takes a ship well off the land and clear of all danger.

The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea