Home > General > A Sad Tale.

A Sad Tale.

For two years a pair of doves have been attempting to build a nest behind our satellite dish. They have failed because it’s an unsuitable place there being nothing to which their building materials can adhere.

In the picture you can see a few pathetic bits of grass and twig and there is more at the foot of the wall where it has fallen.

For some reason I worry about this, there being no means of advising them to go and build somewhere better.

Dove failed nest building.

Dove failed nest building.

June 20, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Build them a little wooden platform there like an inverted U to provide them a stable base. Then if the TV goes out during nesting season you can virtuously watch a nice black screen for a couple of months! Mark you, you will probably derive far more pleasure from them building a nest there than one would from watching the TV these days!

A few weeks ago I was gently hand pruning a pyracantha outside the office here to reveal the blossom so that you get to see the berries in the autumn. Started with the bottom, worked up to step ladders, well up there, nearly to the gutter and a head pops out! A bird had made the nest on top of the bush where I trim it flat so as not to interfere with the gutter, totally obscured by new vigorous growth at the top front. I stopped forthwith, she flew off leaving warm eggs, so beat a very hasty retreat. She must have sat there all the time I was trimming, a good hour or so! Then I got a little too close. I have now left it to its own devices and the bush looks most odd, a bit like a pineapple, smooth below with a manic tuft on top! Oh well!

We also have a sparrow highrise. A yew tree, shaped like an inverted cone against the house, say 9′ tall, no more in which a whole tribe of sparrows live. 30-40 birds, they dive in and out of the tree carrying on something rotten. Reminds me of a highrise council block! They use it every year, if you peer into the interior it has more nests than they know what to do with. You should hear the racket at 4.30 every morning right by the open window, Wakes up Nia dog and myself who then always wants to go out! As an act of enlightened self interest I go, muttering and cursing, as she doesn’t seem to have very good long range fuel tanks! Do girls of any species ever?
    It saves the best oriental carpet, her favourite peeing spot. Trust the damned dog to know quality!

June 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm

There are a couple of doves chez nous in France who seem totally unskilled in nest building too. First they used a gutter, blocking the drain hole to the down pipe, so when the heavens opened the nest got flooded and there was a very damp dove still sitting on eggs. Then they tried another gutter with no success. But as you say, Janus, however much we try to advise, they go their own way.

3. June 20, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Hi Jazz, my first thought was similar to Christina, to build something that will give them a good start.

On second thought I cam up with another idea which would solve their problem for good.

I found this on the internet:-

Growing up in a central California Italian family, my father and uncles would hunt dove in September…and my Dad raised homing pigeons when I was around 5. I can still remember their peaceful coo and the smell of their food.
    One of the highlights of the year was dove season when everyone made spaghetti sauce with squab/wild dove thus:
    Brown the cleaned birds in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, S&P
    Remove and reserve until the sauce is put together and you are ready to simmer them until tender
    Add chopped onion (and somewhat later, a small amount of garlic…onion cooks slower than garlic:) to the EVOO – saute on med until translucent, S&P
    Add tomatoes in whatever form you like (fresh, canned, chopped, puree), preferably not seasoned
    Add chopped Italian parsley and 2 carrots cut into 4 pieces
    Bring to a boil, add in dove/squab/pigeon, stir & reduce to a simmer
    correct S&P if necessary
    Simmer until the birds are tender…usually 1 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring gently and occasionally
    Remove the tender birds to a serving platter
    Toss cooked pasta with the sauce, sprinkle with freshly grated Pecorino Romano (not too much as it is salty)
    Serve pasta with birds on the side.

coo

Gaz 🙂

June 20, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Oh gaz how could you?

Another reminds me…

When I lived in Stonor, Oxon, the local gamekeeper rather fancied me. I kept a studio at the house and generally worked from home, he knew I was in from my car being parked and would ‘drop in’ for coffee. always ensuring his welcome with a brace of pheasants, partridge etc. Fortunately I had a lady in to ‘do’ for me most mornings or the dreaded Aunt Anita hanging about so his feathered blandishments didn’t get him too far! I had a very nice little Browning 20 gauge that he used to borrow in the dove season. They would eat the pheasant’s corn. So he used to shoot them for his own account and flog them to a dealer to go to France where they were much esteemed. Putting 2/300 cartridges through a 12 gauge in a day is positively killing to the shoulder but a different matter with the much lighter 20 gauge. In recompense for this use he would leave me festering mounds of bloody doves on the doorstep. After a while I had got fed up with pies etc and had to disabuse him that I actually didn’t like them very much! Ooops! But the dogs did. So I had rabbits instead. Much more useful.
    Never did try them in a spaghetti.
    Once had to make Canada goose curry, the only thing I could think of to get rid of the horrible fishy smell.
    Made it nigh on vindaloo and made them eat it for shooting it!

5. June 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Our neighbour who comes from a very long line of Oxfordshire aglabs and knows about such things has told us that the last thing we want is doves nesting in the eaves.
    I’m thinking of ways to discourage them. Ollie (the collie) barks at them but they seem unconcerned.

BTW. I installed the satellite dish myself…good eh ?

6. June 21, 2015 at 7:54 am

Nice dish, Jazz. 😉

7. June 21, 2015 at 8:47 am

janus Nice dish, Jazz.

Actually we’be got two satellite dishes because it was easier to install a second one than to run cable all over the house, so the doves have a choice.