Home > General > Things you see while walking dogs.

Things you see while walking dogs.

Mushroom 1

Is this Mushroom edible ?

Mushrooms 2

I’m pretty sure this one isn’t

Calf 1

Calf just born as we walked past. Dogs not particularly interested. Contacted farmer who said they could look after themselves. Will walk that way tomorrow to see how they’re getting on.

Advertisements
Categories: General
  1. October 31, 2014 at 9:49 pm

    I’ve been looking at the various mushroom like fungi growing in my garden and I haven’t a clue if they are edible or not, so I’m ignoring them.

    Christina will no doubt advise when she arrives.

    I thought most farmers were interested in cows calving, but apparently not!

    Hope the new arrival is doing well when you next walk past.

  2. christinaosborne
    November 1, 2014 at 6:00 am

    1 not edible I believe. I wouldn’t eat that, too thin a stalk and don’t like the colour of the stem and the skin looks too thin to peel= dodgy in my book.

    2. Is a shaggy ink cap, is edible when young and good eating, slice and fry for breakfast, not too wonderful when older the inside is incredibly black and rather strong flavoured, this is a young one.

    3 Suggest you wait three years before eating!!!!
    Agree A, a degree of insouciance on the farmer’s part considering the value of beasts these days.

  3. November 1, 2014 at 7:27 am

    You may find this site useful. http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/#poisonous
    I happen to know a couple who were severely poisoned by mushrooms several years ago in the UK. It was quite a famous case and quite tragic. I love mushrooms, but based on what happened to those people, I would be very cautious. My advice would be to give them to your local MP, any RSPCA or Oxfam representative or the nearest Imam, and see if he or she survives, before trying them yourself.

  4. November 1, 2014 at 8:55 am

    My advice would be to give them to your local MP, any RSPCA or Oxfam representative or the nearest Imam, and see if he or she survives, before trying them yourself.

    Excellent advice, our MP is a prime candidate.
    I certainly won’t be eating them.

  5. sheona
    November 1, 2014 at 10:33 am

    There’s a good Italian short story about a man in straitened circumstances who spots a large number of mushrooms on his way to the bus stop and recognises them as an edible species. He decides to return the next day to pick and sell them and tells one of his workmates about his plan. To his dismay when he returns with his basket all the mushrooms have gone. A few days later there’s a headline in the local paper about the large number of local people who have been admitted to hospital with food poisoning and they’re all pointing the finger at the workmate whose knowledge of edible fungi was as good as the original chap’s.

  6. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 10:37 am

    Is this an immature version

    of the following….

  7. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 10:40 am

    There’s a lot of fungi about this autumn.. damp and warm

  8. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 10:46 am

    And another one for Christina:

    found in a field yesterday…

  9. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 10:54 am
  10. November 1, 2014 at 12:01 pm

    I hadn’t though of submitting them for the photo competition. I just took them in passing in my little nokia 206 phone. If I’d been think about competitions I’d have hauled out my Nikon ‘super cameras’.

  11. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 2:27 pm

    Well Jazz, you have until mid November to do your thing. 🙂

  12. christinaosborne
    November 1, 2014 at 6:36 pm

    pseu 10.46 No.

    Good rule of thumb if it ain’t peelable don’t touch it!

  13. Pseu
    November 1, 2014 at 6:53 pm

    thanks Christina. I have identified the tall one, but not the clusters of brown ones.

  14. christinaosborne
    November 2, 2014 at 12:59 am

    Nor me, but most that shape are bad news!
    I tend to get a bit generic on mushrooms, never poisoned myself yet!

  15. christinaosborne
    November 2, 2014 at 1:01 am

    There are a couple with that upward sweep that are edible but dozens that aren’t, law of averages says NO!

  16. Pseu
    November 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

    🙂

  17. November 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

    Hmm! Risky. Mrs J is a country girl who remains ultra wary about wild fungi. Probably a Viking thing.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Add your Comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: