Home > General > Census

Census

AS I write this Mrs J is conscientiously filling out the census form. She just managed to prevent me feeding it into the shredder.

Now she’s complaining that the form is crap. Maybe it’ll end up in the shredder after all.

Five minutes later….

IT HAS! Mrs J took a ‘comfort break’ and the old dog fed the census form to the shredder; it took three bites as the form  is the size of a small book.

1. March 27, 2011 at 10:58 am

I detest form filling Jazz – kept putting it off – eventually filled it in on-line – although my handwriting is so bad it could have been more disruptive to fill it in by hand. I actually had a copy in English – how about you?

2. March 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

Peter

Yes our version was in English. Mrs Jazz is livid that I’ve shredded the thing. “….We’ll get fined! you daft bugger….” she said.

No we won’t.

March 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

Don’t forget to put ‘Jedi’ for the religion question, nor forget to fill the ‘for official use only’ box with a little candle wax.

4. cuprum426
    March 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

What a shame you feel that way Jazz – you as a UK citizen (I assume) have reaped the benefits of previous censuses (Censae?) over the years and much effort and thought goes into the design to make your filling in the form easier. I took roughly 7 minutes to do mine, admittedly with only 2 adults in the house it wasn’t too arduous.

As a geographer I find it fascinating and I often browse thorugh the census website. There was a interesting documentary by Adrew Marr on Friday night about it – it’ll be on I-player I expect – watch that and it will explain that with a little effort in filling in the forms from all of us we will all benefit.

I’m sure our leader Boa will also praise the census as a esteemed historian!

For a small fee I’ll happily fill yours out for you!

5. March 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm

cuprum426

cuprum426 :

What a shame you feel that way Jazz – you as a UK citizen (I assume)……

British Subject actually.

March 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’ve tried, unsuccessfully, to find a copy of the 2011 census form. That’s not to say that it isn’t there to be found – just that I haven’t found it and I’m not noted for my patience in trying to find stuff on the internet. So, if anyone has a link to the form could you please post it here. I’ve found the official site, but without a personal code I can’t access the form.

I note that the Official Site states that the information will be kept private for 100 years. That was the original undertaking when the first UK census was taken in 1801. The only exception was in 1911, and that is why most of the data from that Census was made available earlier – last year – not that much sooner than the 100 year deadline.

The British have always been a bit wary of what Governments would do with personal information, which is why it was 1851 before the Government had the courage to ask details about age, relationships and place of birth, and as anyone who has researched their family history knows, people still ‘lied’ to protect themselves.

You’re right Cuprum – as a historian I praise the census. However, as an avowed anarchist I found it appalling to read that the information that people are expected to divulge, under a threat of a massive fine, might not be confidential:

7. Pseu
    March 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Con-census?

March 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I always habitually lied as a matter of principle.
    Just write allah akhbar all over it, that will cheer them up!
    Impertinent sods.

9. Pseu
    March 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm
  10. Pseu
  11. March 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Can’t understand what the fuss is about.

It took me about five minutes to fill it in.

I think it in some ways an expensive exercise but since we are paying for the darn thing, I filled it in reasonably accurately.

It may do some good, and it will certainly be an interesting historical snapshot.

March 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Hi Pseu – thanks! I found that page – but without a ‘login’ number I can’t access the form!

I think I heard somewhere that this might be the last Census in the UK – that there is some thought that there are better and more up-to-date ways of getting the information.

We will also have a Census here this year – we have them every five years, but until the last one all the data has been destroyed. No looking at earlier Census returns here! After a huge fuss from historians it was agreed last time to ask people whether they minded their data being kept – for a 100 years – for posterity.

13. claire2
    March 27, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I don’t like it. As Boa says, it could be an interesting historical snapshot, but I wonder if it is really necessary, given that our online data and everything else is streaming into outer space as we speak. That said, I don’t like the GTC or the unions any more either; in fact, any public body which insists that I must declare myself.

14. March 28, 2011 at 6:03 am

I was obliged to take part in the US census last year. Although I filled the form out and posted it, they did not even process it and was visited by a census employee. It was quick and painless and took 5 minutes, 3 of them were joking around. I was obliged to give my age, residence, and sex. Race was an optional question. Had I been obliged to give an answer I would have stated “Taiwanese”.

15. Soutie
    March 28, 2011 at 7:04 am

For those that really really want to have a look at the questions but can’t access a form (people like me) go to the help pages.

There you’ll find friendly advice on

I particularly enjoyed the advice on Q9 – country of birth-

“Don’t know my country of birth: If you think you know the area, enter your nearest guess. If you can’t be specific, please try to give the name of the continent.”

😉

16. Janus
    March 28, 2011 at 8:09 am

christinaosborne :

I always habitually lied as a matter of principle.
    Just write allah akhbar all over it, that will cheer them up!
    Impertinent sods.

CO, is there anything or any non-Welsh, non-royal person you approve of?

17. March 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

Janus :

christinaosborne :

I always habitually lied as a matter of principle.
    Just write allah akhbar all over it, that will cheer them up!
    Impertinent sods.

CO, is there anything or any non-Welsh, non-royal person you approve of?

Janus, I believe that, like me, Christina originates from what used to Pebrokeshire, now ccalled Dyfed. It is commonly known as ‘little England beyond Wales.

18. Janus
    March 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

ZEn, you have my sympathy then! 🙂 I can understand your desire to appear English.

19. March 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

ACTUALLY i PREFER TO BE STATELESS, SO MUCH DAMAGE HAVING BEEN CAUSED BY JINGOISM!

20. March 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

… and by having the CAPS LOCK key stuck on!! 😎

21. tocino
    March 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

The Stasi never need the census forms, all they needed were lots of nosey neighbors. 🙂

22. March 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I found the whole thing very easy. Dunno what all the fuss is about.

There was a question on full/part time caring for example which I am very passionate about.

23. March 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Bearsy :

… and by having the CAPS LOCK key stuck on!! :cool:

Too idle to retype!

March 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm

“Some fairly innocuous questions that will help those who have to make funding decisions decide where best to divert resources.”

Oh My God!!! They’ve got to Ferret and broken him. He’s gone all ‘Islington’.

Sob!

25. March 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Yikes OZ,

I like the census. I use the old ones a lot to find out about my fore-ferrets. The whole thing is fascinating. Islington my arse.

March 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Ferret!

If you’ve used the old census you know that people ‘lied’ even then! I have one women who married a guy some 40 years her junior and lied on her second marriage certificate and every census until the last one when she owned up to being 80+ to his 47!

27. March 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Boa,

People do the funniest things.

28. tocino
    March 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Ferret :

I found the whole thing very easy. Dunno what all the fuss is about.

I found the whole thing very easy as well. Mrs Toc did the lot.

March 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I object to being Person 2 in the household. What price Harperson’s equality stuff? We ought to be 1a and 1B. I’m not sure about the funding decisions, Ferret. How many of those whose census return is printed in Ga, or some other little-known language, are actually going to be totally truthful? Past census returns are certainly useful for genealogists, though.

March 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Sheona

Surely if you fill the form in you can put yourself as Person 1? I remember years ago filling in the form and classifying myself as the “household head’.

March 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Boadicea, I don’t doubt that for a moment, but can you boast, as I can, a family tree where there is a dotted line connected cousins who married back in the late 19th century?

Yee haw! Cue duelling banjos.

32. March 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Ferret :

………….help those who have to make funding decisions decide where best to divert resources.

I think Ferret’s been on a management speak course.

33. March 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Ferrets Ferret’s Ferret has..???

March 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I didn’t get my hands on the form quickly enough, Boadicea.

March 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

OZ.

Not in my immediate family – but my great-grandmother’s twin married their cousin!

Sheona

One has to be quick off the mark! Better luck next time!

March 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

OK, Boadicea. You’re the historian. At what point in the family tree does ‘immediate’ become ‘close-ish’? 🙂

March 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

In my view – I’m sure others may have a different opinion? Direct ancestors are ‘immediate’, siblings of direct ancestors are ‘close’… and all the rest are simply ‘family!