Home > General > I heard a good quote today.

I heard a good quote today.

From the Late Alan Clark MP , diarist and junior minister in Margaret Thatchers’s Govt.

He said that the Foreign Office should be closed down and replaced with a fax machine…and then don’t bother to read the faxes.

1. cuprum426
    March 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

They don’t make politicians like that any more! Are his diaries as entertaining as one would expect?

2. tocino
    March 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm

cuprum426 :

Just as well. Wasn’t he over fond of very young girls?

3. March 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

And one aging PM!

4. March 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The TV adaptation was well worth watching – how time flies!

March 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Cuprum – I have his diaries on the shelf and they do indeed make for a very good read. ISBN 1-85799-142-7, if you want to pay a visit to Amazon. πŸ™‚

Toc – He was, by his own admission and as attested to by his long-suffering yet acquiescent wife, a pork swordsman on an Olympian scale, but I don’t think he ever had any proclivities in the kiddy-fiddling direction.

6. tocino
    March 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Really OZ,

β€œ30-year-old Clark married the 16-year-old Jane Beuttler in 1958.” I’m sure he just sat there reading comics to her until she reached the age of consent. πŸ™‚

7. March 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Toc,

Erm 16 is the age of consent, If they were a gretna job, then 14 I think.
    I must say though, it does sound extremely dirty old man territory to me. 1958? I suspect social practices were a little different then, she probably came with a dowry too.

8. tocino
    March 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Ferret,

“Erm 16 is the age of consent” That is what I said.

9. March 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Oops soz Toc,

I read it wrong.

March 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm

The age of consent may officially be 16, but why have those who appear in the red-top headlines as “Britaiin’s youngest grandparents at 31” not instead been charged with statutory rape – both of them and their likewise chavvy, benefit-claiming offspring?

11. tocino
    March 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm

The law is an arse (spelling intended) Zen.

12. March 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

tocino :

The law is an arse (spelling intended) Zen.

Why tell me – I already know.

13. tocino
    March 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

zenrules :

tocino :

The law is an arse (spelling intended) Zen.

Why tell me – I already know.

Just a senior moment Zen. 😦