Home > General > The Sinking of the Laconia BBC2

The Sinking of the Laconia BBC2

Did anyone see this rubbish ?

The sinking of the Laconia was a significant incident re submarine warfare during WW2. You’d think our national broadcaster could have made a stab at getting it right, as it was they produced a load of over dramatized tripe. Mel Gibson would have been proud. There are so many technical faults in it that I won’t  bother listing them. The technical adviser (if they had one) was either ignorant, or they didn’t listen to him. . If they’d got Linda le Plant  to write it it couldn’t be any worse. The folk on the ‘old salts’ website are going ballistic.

The BBC have done much the same with Lark Rise to Candleford.

The original a trilogy  written by Flora Thompson is a semi autobiographical portrayal of life in an Oxfordshire village (Juniper Hill actually). It’s a serious book, interesting and very well written which the BBC have turned into PC rubbish.

Maybe the BBC have a secret remit, to dumb down our culture so that it’s in line with our state education system.

1. January 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I didn’t watch it Jazz, glad I didn’t now. The BBC is getting a lot of serious stick just now, the Eastenders saga for a start is making them sit up and take notice. With that said, they never will learn from their disastrous errors.

2. January 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

valzone

The BBC doesn’t make mistakes.

3. January 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm

who’s kidding who?

4. January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I looked forward to the programme – it was a complete fiasco!

January 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Watched the first episode. Didn’t bother with the second.

6. tocino
    January 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Typical BBC crap! They can manage to rubbish the Royal Navy & the American Air force in equal measure. The Germans came out of it well, as of course they should have done. Mind you, the producers must have spent a long time watching reruns of Das Boot as the U Boat scenes were a real rip off.

Light entertainment at it’s best. 🙂

7. January 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I remain a most loyal fan of the splendid BBC, but I can only maintain this stance by never watching television 😉

8. tomkilcourse
    January 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I didn’t see it, Jazz, nor Lark Rise to Candleford, but I am not surprised by your comments. The BBC used to be very good at documentaries and drama, they are now dumbing down both.

9. January 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Araminta

Araminta :

I remain a most loyal fan of the splendid BBC, but I can only maintain this stance by never watching television ;)

Hardly a ringing endorsement for the Beeb.