Home > Gardening, Photography > Nature and nurture

Nature and nurture

On motorway embankments and roundabouts the ox-eye daisy is king. Viewed from the car the familiarity of their simple shape among the long grasses is a welcome sight, meaning summer is really here. (Ha!)

Close up they are full of wild life

The grass, when you look more closely is full of wild flowers – tiny wild flowers that can so easily go unseen…. everyone sees the Foxgloves in shaded areas, Cow Parsley along the country lanes and Valerian in rocky crevices, for example: but who notices these wee things?

They are under our feet, tiny and robust. Largely unaffected by the wind.

The wind has blown itself out now, though the trees were still restless until this afternoon, and my beans, spindly and lanky from the greenhouse, planted out on Monday are pretty battered in the vegetable patch.

About these ads
  1. June 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I have tried to take photos of the “wee” wild flowers but it is very difficult. I went on an orchid walk to a nearby meadow a couple of years ago with a friend, and I didn’t take any photo worth publishing.

These are much better, Nym. My daisies are not out yet but they are always covered in insects. I have angelica in my garden and it’s humming with bees.

2. June 9, 2012 at 10:18 pm

the insects seem to love the centre of daisy like flowers, what ever they are.
    I’d like to take more of these tiny flowers, but it has to be still… I took several blurs!

3. Soutie
    June 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

Battered beans, is that a Scottish dish ;)

4. June 10, 2012 at 8:30 am

5. June 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

Soutie :

Battered beans, is that a Scottish dish ;)

Good morning, Soutie.

I think you will find that, in Scots culinary myth and legend, it was the Beans who did the battering to others.

June 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Has anyone here seen How to Grow a Planet?

This week’s episode on the “Power of Flowers” will explain to you Pseu why insects love the centre of flowers.

The photography is awe-inspiring. Last week’s programme convinced me that plants really do ‘talk’ to each other!

I have a bit of a problem following the ‘evolutionary’ bit. The presenter seems, to me, to take enormous leaps of logic. And, like most of these programmes, fails to show where the first life-form, from which all else is derived, came from! Nonetheless, it is a fantastic programme and I’m looking forward to the last programme next Sunday.

7. Janus
    June 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Boa, sounds interesting. I’ll look out for it. The god-botherers have the answer, dontchyaknow?

8. June 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Interesting Boadicea. Not sure if we can get that here… I haven’t heard of it. Will keep my eyes peeled.

9. June 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Boadicea left the link out. Here is one –

:grin:

10. June 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for the information about How to Grow a Planet, Boadicea, and thank you for the link, Bearsy. :)