Home > General > Probably the End of Civilisation as we knew it

Probably the End of Civilisation as we knew it

Please don’t press Read More until you’ve read this

You all know me. On the Jock half full/half empty glass spectrum, I am off the scale at the opposite end to Private Fraser of ‘Dad’s Army’ fame. I just can’t do being doomed convincingly. Had Doctor Pangloss ever had the chance to impregnate Pollyanna, their issue might have got close to my usual state of mind.

But sometimes even I despair. At work today, I had occasion to view papers relating to a small Embran child. It was her first name that caught my eye.

LA-A.

I am sure that my erudite fellow Charioteers got this right away but it caught me out. I did manage to work it out eventually.

LADASHA

About these ads
    May 25, 2012 at 2:16 am

Sorry, but totally incomprehensible! The name, the blog, one presumes that the name belongs to some ghastly specimen of the opposite sex?
    Some bloody wog no doubt.
    What do you expect these days?

2. Soutie

Chuckle, Janus! ;)

5. May 25, 2012 at 8:01 am

Soutie.

Ditto. :)

6. May 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

christinaosborne :

Some bloody wog no doubt.
    What do you expect these days?

Lol CO. Do you do a lot of texting?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, the poor child’s name had been entered as LA-A on all the forms by her proud parents who were, as it happens, both white but clearly unfit, from that evidence alone, to have the care of a child. In my opinion.

7. May 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

I don’t mean to burst any bubbles, but this story has been doing the rounds at least since 2008. http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

8. Four-eyed English Genius
    May 25, 2012 at 11:55 am

Soutie :

Dear Mr Mackie

Please stop making fun of my sister’s name, thank you

Yours faithfully

S#a

That’sh a bad lishp you have there, Shoutie :-)

9. May 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wasn’t Ladasha the name of the dog the Russians sent into space years ago? Regardless of the lack of literacy of the Edinburgh parents, I think it’s a great improvement on Chardonnay (pronounced with Essex accent) or Mercedes.

May 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm

JM still totally incomprehensible!
    No, I don’t text, somewhat difficult with no mobile phone or portable electronic gizmos!
    All inventions of the devil as far as I am concerned, When I’m out of the house I am generally gardening, silence is golden and I don’t wish my wah to be disturbed by numskulls, idiots and double glazing salesmen! Bastards can leave a message on the house phone or not as suits them.
    And I’ll answer it or not, as suits me.

Come on, give me a proper explanation please.

11. Janus
    May 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm
    May 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

there does not seem to be a translation service on that site.
    Anyway I have wasted enough time on gibbering peasant garbage.

13. May 25, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Sipu :

Hi Sipu.

I assure you that my bubble remains firmly unburst. Had I not seen the forms with my own eyes, I too would have rushed to snope the story. But, as the boy Burns has it, ‘facts are chiels that winna ding’.

May 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I really would have liked an explanation.

15. May 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Tina.

If you follow the link to Snopes in comment No.7 or again in No.13, all will be revealed to you.

16. May 27, 2012 at 2:09 am

christinaosborne :

I really would have liked an explanation.

Sorry CO for not being clearer.

There are many punctuation marks – the one which I have just used is often called a ‘dash’.

On the parental application form, their child’s first name was entered as LA-A. It would appear that they believed that everybody would grasp immediately that said name should be pronounced ‘Ladasha’.

Thanks for the tip about the Blue Lagoon and St Govan’s Chapel. Both seem well worth the visit. That dog-friendly hotel is on the west headland beside Fishguard and duly booked.

May 27, 2012 at 3:56 am

Thanks JM but even I worked it out that far!!!!
    Is ladasha a name?
    If so, I presume some ghastly black whore?
    Why would have the registrar allowed such a horror?
    It all strikes me as terribly tinker shillelagh!

By the way if you are interested in a day of earth sciences!
    go to Broadhaven, there is a decent pub there for starters for lunch, walk south to Littlehaven, take in the tidepools, there are load of temperate corals and coelenterates to be seen. Round the coves there are coal deposits right on the cliffs and some fascinating eroded intrusive volcanics that have left weird arched caves just suitable for Hobbits!
    Plus you can take the dog on the whole walk, the bloody brats are to the North on the beach.!
    Plus out to sea there is generally a queue of ships waiting in the roads to enter Milford Sound to take on or disgorge their oil cargoes, tremendous fun to look at them with field glasses. Our best count was 15 in St Brides Bay standing off!
    Make sure you see the Bishop’s Palace too when you go to St David’s Cathedral. It is right next door.
    The 11.00 am choral service is good..