Home > History, The Dark Side > I did swear

I did swear

When I was a little wolf cub (tumtetum), I learned all the regulations of which there were lots……and I must have sworn the oath of allegiance to HM King George VI but can’t quite remember it. So what, you retort. Well I’ve just checked and it appears I may have committed myself to all his heirs and successors too, which is fine in the case of ERII but which will cause me some distress thereafter. What should I do? Can I now withdraw my oath, the act of a young, impressionable boy? Answers in semaphore, please, preferably from ex-cubs and ex-brownies with a similar conundrum.

Chief Scout Bear Grylls stands with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

About these ads
Categories: History, The Dark Side
  1. May 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

Have you or any male members of your family ever been prosecuted for not practising archery once a week? If not, you are probably going to be OK if you fail to abide by your oath.

May 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

I distinctly remember promising to “do my best to do my duty to God and the Queen”, Janus. And Queen to me means HM. No mention was made of successors, and the word “monarch” was not used, so I don’t consider myself bound to Charles or anyone else.

btw, they do a better looking Chief Scout than in my day!

3. May 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

Janus you are probably OK. “Dib dib dob” signifies George 6th, the Queen Mother and their daughter Elizabeth. However if you sang “Ging gang gooly” as well, then you owe allegiance to the grandchildren too. So woggle out of that!

4. Four-eyed English Genius
    May 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

What is wrong with Good Queen Bess? Now if you were to object to being JugEars liege-man, I could understand. :-)

May 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

When I took Australian citizenship I had to swear allegiance to Her Maj, and her heirs. Didn’t bother me then and still doesn’t. For the record, I have no problems with Charles.

One of my Scottish friends so objected to that particular oath that she refused to take Australian citizenship…

… until she was stranded in Fiji or some other such strange place when there was a military coup. She went to the British Consulate only to find that all the Brits had left and she had to throw herself on the mercy of the Australian Embassy to get back to Oz.

Thanks goodness she had a sense of humour – since we all teased her about how easily one could change one’s ‘allegiances’ in times of dire need. :-)

6. Janus
    May 1, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Boa, your salutary tale puts my dilemma in a new light. I’ll postpone my public renuinciation in case I need help with my knots sometime.

May 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Never joined, too poncy!
    Too busy getting into serious rural mischief.