Home > Humour > Off choc

Off choc

Imagine my disappointment when I opened the wrapper and was confronted by this?

I stopped at my local corner cafe yesterday and although I rarely purchase sweets or chocolate was tempted to buy a Cadbury’s Bournville slab.

As you can see my chocolate hadn’t withstood the summer heat as well as it should have.Is that a sell by date on the wrapper? (20 Jul 2012)

‘Never mind’ I thought, I’ll eat it anyway, I couldn’t, it’s awful. Crumbly, dry and tasteless.

I immediately called their helpline, I was too late, it only operates during ‘office hours’ What’s the point of that? This is an emergency and they only work office hours!

I know that life’s tough here on the Dark Continent, but let’s face it, there can be no excuses for this.

I wonder if, after the Kraft takeover if it’s even made here anymore? (The Cadbury’s S.A. head office and factory is right here in Algoa Bay)

I’ll be giving them a ring a bit later today, I’ll keep you posted.

About these ads
Categories: Humour
  1. Janus
    April 20, 2012 at 6:44 am | #1

G’dag, Soutie! I used to be in the choc biz. Looks like it’s been displayed in a sunny window or next to the grill!

2. Soutie
    April 20, 2012 at 6:49 am | #2

Howzit Janus

I remember this happenning to me 10 or 15 years back, they called me down to the factory and gave me 2 shopping bags full of goodies as compensation.

Here’s hoping for something similar, although I think that with the yank buyout, the economic shambles and general cost savings by big business these days they might just send me my R11.25 back (less than a pound) :(

3. April 20, 2012 at 7:03 am | #3

Soutie :

Howzit Janus

I have a feeling that you might be lucky to get your 11.25 rand back. As you said, a lot of things changed after the Obamastani buyout of Cadbury and that hasn’t necessarily been for the best.

April 20, 2012 at 7:54 am | #4

There appears to be the same complaint in the UK about general quality decline since the buy out.
    Never eat it personally I don’t actually like chocolate, but enough people are complaining!
    I’m a sugared almond afficionado which are not popular therefore not expensive in the USA.

5. April 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm | #5

Afraid I bought a Bournville bar last week, crumbs it was never that sweet. But then they are no longer a British compnay so the recipes get changed for the worse.
    I’ll stick to dark Swiss chocky from now on.

6. April 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm | #6

I think the Belgians have the edge as regards chocolate, most of the other stuff is not really worth the calories.

7. April 21, 2012 at 12:16 am | #7

Ara: Green and Black’s 70% plus is pretty good.

8. April 21, 2012 at 3:59 am | #8

Minters: German chocolate is excellent and quite under-rated. Japanese chocolate is also quite good. The Swiss and Belgian varieties are tad dear and a bit over-rated me thinks.

9. Soutie
    April 21, 2012 at 6:43 am | #9

Morning all, update as promised

I had an interesting chat with Sharon (The helpline lady) who I’m pleased to inform is based at the Cadbury’s factory right here in Algoa Bay.

Sharon told me

• My chocolate was indeed manufactured locally
    • ‘Corner shops’ no longer deal direct with the manufacturer. Cadbury’s only deals with the large hyper/supermarket chains and wholesalers
    • My faulty slab is the result of poor storage conditions at either the shop or wholesaler.
    • Cadbury’s reps no longer visit smaller outlets to monitor display and storage conditions

Sharon took my telephone and postal details and promised to send me a voucher as compensation, the voucher however is only redeemable at one of the larger stores (mentioned above.) Which is a pity, one more example of big business making life harder for the little guy.

10. Janus
    April 21, 2012 at 8:20 am | #10

When I was doing relief-selling in Pudsey, Yarkshire in 1965 the newsagents all kept their stock in the window. :-(

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 314 other followers