Home > General > Frizzy fur

Frizzy fur

At the moment there is no option to comment on this story from the dark side

Feckin’ disgrace

Perhaps Charioteers would like to add their view?

About these ads
  1. January 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Utter stupid nonsense is my first reaction, OZ. I’m sure he would have come to no harm whatsoever, had they allowed him to sit in the cockpit.

But, I blame all this on the Americans, actually. We have allowed this litigious habit to become all common here in the UK. There are no accidents any more, someone is always to blame and too many lawyers encourage this behaviour. Hence the absurd Health and Safety rules are the only defence

When I broke my ankle at Henley Festival, due to someone inadvertently nudging me off the duck-board, everyone advised me to sue. No, it was an accident, and had I not been wearing a ridiculous pair of high heels the outcome may have been a mere sprain.

January 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm

The man flew the Spitfire in combat during WWII and now some spotty elf ‘n’safety jobsworth tells him he can’t even sit in the cockpit? My fur is well and truly frizzed.

3. Soutie
    January 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Well I laughed when I first read this.

I mean really laughed, how ridiculous can it get? I’ve often stated that not much surprises me about the ridiculous nanny state interventions in ordinary peoples lives, this didn’t, I’m surprised that the old chap (91) is allowed out of his house for fear that he might trip and hurt himself!

I’m quite sure that Mr Carter understands his limitations at 91 and acts accordingly.

Ara is concerned about the ‘litigation culture.’ Surely simple indemnity forms could be available at attractions to not only indemnify the owners but also to identify potential dangers and bring them to the notice of any willing participants (as in bungee jumping ;))

4. January 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I’m sure you do have to sign some sort of “blood chit”, Soutie, for bungee jumping and other dangerous pursuits, but I don’t think they are worth much, legally. I think you could still sue, if you were so inclined, or your next of kin could. ;)

5. cuprum426
    January 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I agree Ara, most “sign here please” disclaimers aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.

More evidence of the continued demise of this dis United Kingdom. Poor old fella.

6. Soutie
    January 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Well then an act of Parliament must be passed that allows this.

A rather simple piece of legislation, a document (perhaps a mere couple of hundred pages) which makes it quite clear to the legislature and judiciary that if the approved form (Gov number such and such) is completed in triplicate, signed by the participant initialed next to 6 or perhaps 7 important paragraphs, signed by a Commissioner of Oaths and duly lodged and notorised at the relevant Health and Safety office that NO claims will be considered under ANY circumstances.

There, how difficult can that be :?

Now lets allow Mr. Carter up into the cockpit :)

7. January 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Soutie.

Are you mad, that’s far too sensible? ;)

8. January 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Apparently Mr Cameron has said that he wants to reduce the long reach of the safety elves. Even he admits it has gone too far. http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2012/01/06/cameron-i-ll-kill-off-health-and-safety-for-good

The problem is that since a significant number of MPs trained as lawyers they have a selfish interest in the business of litigation.

By the way, Ara, good for you for not suing.

9. January 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

The letter pages from the Guardian make interesting reading with regards to Cameron’s pledge above!

January 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Sipu – What the Guardianistas are ignoring is the elephant in the room. Elf ‘n’ Safety is generally a good thing provided it is not abused. I remember years ago that Liverpool City Council announced that it would no longer entertain claims from ‘victims’ claiming to have ‘tripped over a paving flag’. There is also video of a police sting in the USA where potential ‘victims’ were seen leaping onto a bus the police had deliberately crashed in order to claim compensation.

11. January 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thanks, Sipu. :)

12. January 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm

OZ: Why would any US police force want to claim compensation for a bus crash? :)

A recent case here in Philadelphia had a service bus with eight passengers involved in an accident, according to the police report. Later, claims were submitted to the city by twenty people saying they were on the bus and injured.

January 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Whilst the USA has the worst claims culture, the UK is FAR worse on the health and safety claptrap.

January 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm

PS Many courts here throw these claims out as specious nonsense and refuse to hear them. What the UK gets to hear about particularly are the medical claims settlements and if you saw the bills you would know why. So very easy to run up a 6 figure bill in a week or so flat.

January 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm

LW – You know damn well what I meant. :-)